2008-09 Colgate Raider MVPs -Curry Knox

The Maroon-News would like to congratulate senior runner, Curry Knox, The Colgate Maroon-News female athlete of the 2008-09 school year.

Knox has been a key member of the women’s track and field team since her freshman campaign in the 2005-2006 year, as she currently holds ten Colgate records, plus one freshman record. Five of those records are for indoor track, while the other five are in outdoor track.

In her first year, she was named to the All-Patriot League first and second teams in outdoor track. During that year, Knox also broke her first school record, in the 100-meter dash, winning the Patriot League title in that event. She also finished second in the Patriot League 200-meter dash championship. Her success in the conference championships helped her qualify to the ECAC and the NCAA Regional Championships, an impressive feat for a first-year. She also broke a first-year record for the 100-meter dash in outdoor track.

Her next two seasons were just as successful, as Knox continued breaking her own Colgate records and placing high in the Patriot League Championships, while qualifying for the ECAC Championships both years. Her breakout season, however, has been this one, her senior year.

On Friday, January 16, Knox broke the records for the 55-meter hurdles and the 55-meter dash. She completed the hurdles in 8.42 seconds, while racing through the 55-meter dash in 7.24 seconds. A little over a month later, on February 20, 2009, Knox again broke records for the 60-meter hurdles, 60-meter dash and 200-meter dash. She completed the hurdles with a time of 8.80 seconds, becoming the first Colgate runner ever to break the 9-second barrier. She completed the 60-meter in 7.66, and the 200-meter dash in 25.32.

In outdoor track, which has been her forte while at Colgate, Knox again dominated. On March 21, 2009, Knox broke three records. Two of them were on relay, in the 4×100 meters and 4×200 meters, while one was a single, in the 200 meters. Three weeks later, Knox broke her final two records of the year in the 100-meter dash and 100-meter hurdles.

Knox will soon leave Colgate for the real world, and her upcoming graduation has prompted The Maroon-News to pick at her memory, including her reasons for attending Colgate.

“My decision to come to Colgate was based on a couple things,” Knox said. “My twin sister and I applied together Early Decision, and to be honest, I really didn’t like Colgate when I visited during the semester, but I simply wanted to be with my sister. We were both very interested in playing soccer here, as she was being recruited for it.”

Unfortunately, Knox’s sister was not accepted. At first, Knox was extremely anxious about coming to Colgate, having had reservations about the university after her campus visit.

“But really, I am proud of whom I have become as a result of my experience here, and my feelings about Colgate have evolved into something positive. I have met so many wonderful people here at Colgate, and I love Colgate for that. But I will be honest, to be a black lesbian at a school that is predominantly white and heterosexual is quite an experience.”

Knox considers the Patriot League Championships as the highlight of her career. She also enjoys the different events organized by the Colgate community, as well as resting from her grueling track practices. At this moment, Knox is undecided as to what she plans to do once she graduates, but she is looking to apply to graduate school for creative writing.

Knox is not only involved with the track team, but also with the LGBTQ office.

“For the Office, I help plan and organize events that surround LGBTQ awareness,” Knox said. “I have been focusing on raising awareness within the athletic community, and this semester I have helped organize a couple of events.”

Knox’s success on and off the track has won her admiration and respect from her fellow teammates.

“Curry has proven in every race that she is a force to be reckoned with,” junior member of the Women’s track team Suze Fortkiewicz said. “As her teammate, words cannot convey the excitement that ran through our team in February as we watched Curry win the 60-meter hurdles at the Patriot League Championship. She has the ability to make sprinting down the straightaway and over hurdles look effortless. Her calm, positive demeanor is something that should be emulated.”

Knox owns Patriot League Championship titles in the 100-meter dash, from her freshman spring season, and the 60-meter hurdles, which she won this winter at Navy. Her accolades seem to be endless, and in addition, her teammates have endless praises for her.

Fortkiewicz added, “Curry is a teammate that you can always count on. She is one of the strongest, toughest women that I have ever met. With shin splints that would debilitate other runners, Curry steps up to the line ready to give it her all. There is no stopping her and she is going to be greatly missed by everyone next year.”

Knox is currently participating, along with the women’s track and field team, in the prestigious Penn Relays. After those, she will participate in the Lehigh Games, the Patriot League Championships and the ECAC Championships. Knox has plenty of season left and more opportunities to keep breaking Colgate records.