In The Light – Mark Anderson

Hockey is a big part of Mark Anderson’s life at Colgate. A defenseman for the Men’s Ice Hockey team, it is unsurprising that a large amount of his time is spent practicing, lifting and traveling to away games.

“It seems like every other week we’re on the road from Thursday until late Saturday night,” Anderson said. “It’s a big commitment, but it’s a lot of fun.”

He considers the Colgate-Cornell hockey game to be one of his favorite things about playing and looks forward to it every year.

“There’s always good student turnout and it’s an exciting game,” Anderson explained. His passion for the sport carries beyond just playing for Colgate. Anderson has spent several summers coaching and plans to play one year of professional hockey after graduating this May.

Anderson’s interest in athletics at Colgate also carries over into his role as a student representative on the Reid Athletic Center Conceptual Planning Committee. This organization is working to improve and remodel the school’s athletic facilities.

A Cellular Neuroscience major, Anderson is planning to attend George Washington Medical School after his year of playing professional hockey. To prepare while still at Colgate, Anderson has been working in a neuroscience research lab. The study is focusing on the effect of exercise on the learning and energy of rats.

One of Anderson’s favorite things about Colgate is exactly what attracted him to the school four years ago.

“It seemed like a place with a lot of smart people who worked hard but weren’t afraid to let their hair down socially.”

That Colgate is a place where students can study something that really interests them (such as exercise and its effects), but also remember that college is only four years and enjoy it while it lasts, is important to Anderson.

“It’s hard to believe,” Anderson said. “It feels like just yesterday was the fall term of freshman year.”

As he recognizes that he only has a few months left here, Anderson advises younger students to take advantage of what they have while they still have it. And for Anderson, the most important of those opportunities are the people that inhabit this campus.

“Branch out and meet lots of people on campus, whether through student groups or faculty,” Anderson said. “It’s nice to be able to walk around campus and recognize people.”