Big Green Blowouts: S+ D Teams Dominate

Last Sunday, the women’s swimming and diving team remained perfect by advancing to a stellar 4-0 overall record. Better yet, the men’s team also earned an Ivy League win on Sunday against Dartmouth at Lineberry Natatorium. The dominating Lady Raiders won again in decisive fashion, 159-82, and the men’s team captured their first win of the season, 143-98.

Although no pool records were broken by Colgate in the women’s meet with Dartmouth, the rousing Raiders triumphed to first-place finishes in 11 of 13 meets on Sunday. Senior Emily Murphy, senior Beverly Walker and sophomore Caren Guyett were all triple winners, while first-year Erica Derlath, senior Lisa Marchi and senior Ashley Bottger won two individual events. The women’s swimming and diving team also swept three meets by achieving first, second and third place finishes in the 400 IM, 500 free style and 200 breast stroke. Guyett led Colgate in the 400 IM with a time of 4:31.45 with McGraw and Derlath finishing a close second and third. First year Derlath also finished with a time of 5:10.27 ahead of Marchi and first-year Erika Mortenson.

Despite Walker’s outstanding performance, she believes that her full potential has not been reached yet, nor has the team’s.

“I am very excited with the way I am sprinting right now. My individual performances overall have shown me I still have a long way to go before the season is over, but I am progressing, as the team is, on a faster track than in past years and it makes me confident that by the Patriot League Championships my team and I will be at our very best,” Walker said.

Erica Derlath attributes the Raider’s early season success to the team’s strong personal bond that they share.

“I think we have been able to be so successful because of our closeness. We all push each other every day in practice which definitely helps us to keep improving,” Derlath said.

The men’s team, which had gotten off to a slow 0-3 start, looked motivated to avenge a 170-124 loss to Big Green last year at Dartmouth. Colgate scorched Dartmouth this time around by posting first-place finishes in nine of 13 events and sweeping the top three places in two events.

Sophomore Tucker Gniewek, sophomore Devon Healy and first-year Costas Hadjipateras each were winners in three events. Healy won three individual events: the 500 free, 1650 free and 400 IM (4:13.21), and Colgate swept the top three spots in the former two events. In the 1650 free, Healy had the winning time of 16:42.24, while sophomores Nick Amato and Vince Hostoffer finished in second and third place respectively. Healy also touched with a 4:49.59 to win the 500 free, while first-year Pat White and Hostoffer grabbed second and third.

“I was really happy with my performances. It was a shorter meet timeline so I had less time to recover in between races but I was still right on my best times for the season,” Healy said.

First-year Pat White stressed this victory’s importance.

“Sunday was certainly a turning point for the Colgate men’s swim program. The win sets the tone for our season, particularly the Patriot League Championships.”

Furthermore, White elucidated The Maroon-News on the team’s skills.

“[The win against Dartmouth] unveils only a small portion of that potential. Our men’s team is ready to do unbelievable things.”

Colgate will return to the pool December 4-6 at the Kenyon Invitational in Gambier, Ohio, and the next home meet is scheduled for Saturday, January 24 versus Binghamton.