In The Light – Samantha Gillis

Senior Samantha Gillis is a classic Colgate student. She manages to take a rigorous schedule and still be involved in many different activities on campus. This political science major serves as the President of Konosioni Honor Society, Secretary of the Class of 2009, student senator and a member of Gamma Phi Beta sorority.

Since Gillis holds such high positions in her activities, it is not surprising that she is excited about the many on-campus events that she helps to organize. She is currently working on a Konosioni environmental charity event that will bring together groups from Colgate University and Hamilton College, as well as members of the Hamilton community. Gillis is also working with other members of Konosioni to bring back traditions that have faded from campus, such as trivia nights as Donovan’s Pub.

Gillis’ class council responsibilities also take up a great deal of her time, especially as she gets further into senior year. Gillis is on the graduation planning committee and is working to move this year’s ceremony inside for the first time. She is also busy contacting alumni for Real World, an event that brings Colgate graduates back to campus to talk to seniors about the world beyond the Colgate bubble.

In addition to her political science major, Gillis is also working on a philosophy minor, and hopes to attend law school next year.

Last spring, Gillis traveled to Geneva, Switzerland to study abroad with the Colgate program. She described the experience as amazing and explained that as she explored Europe on their group trips, she was also able to connect with fellow Colgate students that she might not otherwise have met.

“It was nice to get to know people outside of my usual group,” Gillis said.

She encourages other students to find a balance between studying and socialization and to take advantage of the other students here.

“I’ve loved my four years here,” Gillis said. “I can’t imagine having gone anywhere else.”

Last August, Gillis, with the rest of Konosioni, led the Class of 2012 up the hill with torches. This preview of the walk she will take in seven months really brought home the fact that she will be leaving Colgate this spring.

“I can’t imagine what it will be like,” Gillis said.