Colgate Couture – Fall Fashion Muses

Back to school isn’t simply the end of summer, but the beginning of a fresh fall wardrobe that will keep you chic from head to toe during the crisp October days and near-arctic temperatures.?This fall, anything goes, whether you play it cool in boho like the Gucci girls, act smart in menswear as seen on Yves Saint Laurent or play pretty in floral dresses as seen on the Michael Kors runway. Make romance in a sheer ruffled blouse as seen at Givenchy, or, if you’re really ready to ride, take on a tough girl persona in heavy chains, a fitted leather jacket and buckled booties.

Every fall, Colgate students return to campus with one main accessory: their summer tan. But this fall, tan is out and bold looks are in, so get ready to dominate campus in knee-high leather boots and oversized blazers and don that never-before-seen statement piece (no, not your boy toy but your favorite cuff, chain necklace or even your 1960’s costume jewelry).

The 2008 fall runway shows focused on the individual.? Free and feminine never looked better at Chloe, whereas structure and the ever-dramatic presentation at Ricardo Tisci for Givenchy juxtaposed ruffled blouses with skinny leather pants and bold booties. His use of heavy metal chains with feminine cut tuxedo pants and tailored blazers made for a brilliant combination of both professional and sexy. No matter what your fashion taste may be, everyone is guaranteed a novel way to dress this season.

However, the artistic masterpieces on the catwalk couldn’t be less practical for dressing on Colgate campus. If you are daring enough to break out of your generic Oxford shirt and boat shoes to try something inventive, pick a muse this season. For the tomboys with a feminine flair, raid your boyfriend’s closet for an oversized blazer for menswear-inspired dressing. Take references from the 1920’s German actress, singer, and entertainer Marlene Dietrich, who wore blazers, crisp white button downs, tailored pants and Oxfords. Dare to be sexy in a lingerie top underneath, or for class-appropriate attire, pair it with a snug T-shirt. Slip on some skinny jeans to keep the look slim, and go sky-high with knee-length equestrian boots or mid-calf motorcycle boots. If you feel more audacious, skip the boots and opt for flat lace-up Oxfords (the Marc by Marc Jacobs patent leather jazz shoes look both professional and fun with any skinny pant this season).

If your style falls into the classic category, take cues from the runways at Rag and Bone and Philip Lim who offer timeless attire with a twist. These designers, who are considered contemporary in the fashion world, offer pieces with not only runway appeal but also real life appeal. The girls at Rag and Bone sported military jackets in navy, brown and black paired with a variety of options such as black tuxedo pants, leggings, knee-length wool trousers and high wasted loose skirts hitting mid-thigh. Pair this look with tall black boots or pointed pumps. At Philip Lim, pretty day dresses in purples, black and cream reined the runway, as did granny sweaters paired over skirts with heels. The most appealing look that will have every girl shopping in the men’s department is the oversized white shirt paired with skinny pants and boots.

If you’re more of a free spirit, take on the persona of rock and roll muse and Rolling Stones romancer Anita Pallenberg. The key to the boho chic look is mixing all sorts of prints and colored tights as seen at Gucci. Skinny black paints, knee-high fringe boots and a plethora of chains called for a new look of both tough girl and haute hippie. Anna Sui followed suit with Native American inspired dresses in a mixture of colors, but roughed it up with knee high leather boots and fringe. Even if you don’t want to stand out on the academic quad in head-to-toe patterns, opt for a printed blouse, jeans and any accessory with fringe to keep you looking oh-so-seventies.?