Track Closes in on PL Championships at Navy

Max Yadin

Last weekend the Colgate Raiders men’s and women’s track and field teams competed in their penultimate regular season meets. The men went to Holy Cross, where they fought in the sixth annual Raider-Crusader Cup. In this annual competition, the Raiders and Holy Cross take part in a larger multi-team meet, but within this multi-team event, there is a dual meet competition between the Raiders and Crusaders. The women traveled to Moravian College for the Greyhound Invitational. Both teams were marked by improvement and some spectacular individual performances.

“It was a big day for a lot of the guys,” Men’s Head Coach Art McKinnon said.

Though the meet did not exclusively feature Colgate and Holy Cross, the rivalry between the two schools was what made it special. The Crusaders led the series, 3-2 heading into last weekend. However, due to hard work, Colgate was able to tie Holy Cross. Overall however, Holy Cross won the larger multi-team meet with 186 points, and Colgate finished second with 157 points. Maine, Central Connecticut, Hartford, and American International finished in third to sixth place, respectively.

We had a lot of close events,” McKinnon said. “Holy Cross won the larger meet, and we came in second ahead of Maine and Central Connecticut. But the Raider-Crusader Cup came out in a tie – 98 to 98.”

“We’d lost the last three years in a row,” McKinnon said further. “[It was] mainly because they have more guys in the field events. Everyone’s effort was essential in our tie. There were three people in particular that ran well: Andy Holway, Sean Baumann and Lyle Tolli. A lot of guys also stepped up in events they’re not used to.”

Senior Andy Holway ran his quickest 400-meter dash of the year, clocking in at 48.81. He came in third place in that event. Senior Sean Baumann took top honors in the 800-meter run with a time of 1:53.41. His teammate, sophomore Lyle Tolli, also brought home a win for Colgate in the middle distances. Tolli snatched first in the 1,500-meter run with a time of 3:49.85. He also captured first in the 5,000-meter run, and fellow Raider first-year Ed Sheridan came in second. Sophomore Phil Natoli took second in the 400-meter hurdles, and first-year Gus Hobbs took third. First-year Ed Boulat, running the excruciating 3,000 m steeplechase for the first time in his career, finished in second place.

Colgate will now go to Cornell on Sunday before the Patriot League Championships at Navy during the first weekend in May.

The women also had their fair share to be proud of at Moravian College. Yet again, one of the great performers of the weekend was rookie Michele Miller. She ran a personal best time in the 400-meter dash, which was also the third-fastest time in Colgate history. Additionally, Miller ran for third place in the 200-meter dash with her second quickest time of the season in that event.

“The athlete of the meet for us was Michelle Miller,” Women’s Head Coach Laura Nardelli said. “She is really a freshman sensation.”

Another runner that scored big for Colgate was senior Elizabeth Kennedy, who turned out a personal-best time in the 5,000-meter run in order to leave all her competition in the dust.

“She looked great,” Nardelli said. “I think she could have run a lot faster, but there was no one near her. She lapped almost the whole field.”

Sophomore Lauren Abuouf also earned top honors for the Raiders in the discus event. Abuouf, in the last throw of the last event of the meet, beat the runner up by four inches. Furthermore, the 4X400 team took third place.

The women will go to the Penn Relays next weekend. The following week, Colgate will participate in the Patriot League Championships at Navy. Nardelli is expecting some big things from some members of the team.

“We’re looking at Michele Miller, and we expect Kennedy to do well in the 5k,” Nardelli said. “Our 4X100 is ranked fourth right now.”