Weather Fecund for Winter Carnival

Colgate’s annual Winterfest took place on Saturday, March 1, featuring the popular Colgate Winter Olympics. The Colgate Activities Board (CAB) Special Events Committee hosted the entirely free event, featuring free t-shirts, free food and free fun.

Twenty teams consisting of eight to ten people competed in a series of ten events, including human foosball, three-legged races, name-that-tune contests and gladiator jousts. There was a very large turnout, with over 200 students participating.

“We were all really excited about the turnout,” CAB member senior Sarah Beal said. “We put a lot of hard work into this event.”

Beal also said that every single person who participated seemed to be having a great time. A wide variety of organizations were represented and were able to interact and enjoy the event together.

“This was the first time I participated in the Winter Olympics and I am so glad I did,” senior Deborah Charney said. “I thought it really brought the campus together in a way that not many events do. It was definitely a worthwhile way to spend a Saturday at Colgate!”

Students were also able to appreciate the wintry weather of Colgate.

“It was really nice having snow for Winterfest this year because it made the outdoor events more fun,” senior Emily Good said. “This was one of the most fun events I have ever participated in at Colgate.”

Even though everyone had a good time, the winners got to enjoy a fun day along with some great prizes. The first-place winners of $200 towards a team dinner at the Colgate Inn were “The Old Gregs,” with team captain sophomore Dan Gledhill. The second prize of $100 towards a team dinner at the Inn went to Phi Delta Theta fraternity with team captain senior Mark Pettit. As every team was very spirited and excited to participate, judging the winners of the day’s Spirit Awards was especially difficult. However, in the end, teams “Rugby is Life,” with captain sophomore Becky Kahn, and “Highlighters,” with captain sophomore Allison Taylor, took the Spirit Awards of $50 gift certificates to Maxwell’s Ice Cream.

Winterfest has been a Colgate staple for several years now, and because of its great success this year, it will certainly be taking place again next year. CAB’s Beal encourages students to join its executive board, as there are similar events in the works for the future.