A Cabaret to Charm Your Pants Off

Lizzy Corn

Come be seduced this weekend by some of Colgate’s finest voices! Members of the Student Musical Theater Company (SMuTCo) will be performing in a Valentine-themed cabaret downtown at the Palace Theater on Saturday evening at 7:00.

The singers’ vocal styles are as varied as the songs, lending the cabaret the feeling of a Valentine themed mix tape. Some of Broadway’s most romantic songs will be performed, including classics like “My Funny Valentine” from Babes in Arms and “Tonight” from Westside Story. This one-time performance is co-directed by sophomores Tessa Drake and Lindsey Simpson, who will also be performing in musical numbers themselves. The singers will be accompanied by a live band, headed by sophomore Mike Peterson on piano.

The group of performers has representation from every class year and from each of Colgate’s a cappella groups as well as from the Student Chorus. The songs range from seriously romantic to over the top cheesy and the performers are not afraid to deliver either extreme. The students in the Cabaret truly love singing, and their passion shines through in their performances.

As I watched them at a rehearsal I wondered who was enjoying the show more: me, or the singers? The students have only been rehearsing for about 4 weeks, but fear not, their performances will not disappoint! Although the students’ voices could speak for themselves, no pun intended, directors Simpson and Drake have also incorporated some props and clever choreography to keep the on-stage action entertaining.

The cabaret is a great, free event to check out with your friends, family or lovers this weekend! Your fellow students are excited to be performing for you in what one of them called “the best cabaret ever”. With such a talented and enthusiastic cast you may find yourself struggling to not sing along. And who could blame you? This cabaret is guaranteed to bring out the romantic in anyone.