Chemistry Society Gains SGA Recognition

Lookout Colgate: there’s a new student group on campus. The Student Government Association (SGA), to the excitement of many prospective chemistry concentrators, recently approved the organization of the Colgate Society of Chemists.

President and Vice President of the Colgate Society of Chemists Doug Collins and Cara Delaney explained that one goal of forming the group was to spark close relationships amongst chemistry concentrators and the faculty early on in students’ college careers. The Society also seeks to dispel students’ misconceptions about research opportunities and encourage potential chemistry majors to continue with chemistry.

Delaney expressed her excitement about the group’s formation.

“It was an idea we came up with late last semester and then we started it when school started this semester,” she said. “Our upper level chemistry class became really close, and we wished we had started [getting to know each other] earlier.”

Collins explained that his upper level chemistry class’s cohesiveness inspired them to make this wish possible.

“We wanted to accelerate the process [of getting to know each other] and keep more people interested in chemistry,” he said.

Most departments have their own society to encourage student interest in their subject and foster a relationship between faculty and students interested in studying in this area. Collins, as a geology minor, therefore looked to the Geology Society when he formed the Colgate Society of Chemists.

“Almost every academic has one [their own society],” Collins said. “At the same time we were being approved by the Senate, the Russian Society was being approved. It’s pretty common.”

The Colgate Society of Chemists held their second meeting on Monday, and they remain optimistic about the group’s future.

“Basically, we’re accomplishing one goal this meeting,” Delaney said before their Monday meeting. “We’re discussing summer research, not just [working] with professors, but what there is to do in Hamilton in summer.”

Delaney also shared their goals and hopes for future meetings.

“We want to hold a meeting about what to do as a chemistry major,” she said. “We’re also trying to get together with local schools and hold a science fair where high school students can come and see our projects in order to garner interest [in chemistry].”

According to Collins, another aim of the society is to ensure a close relationship between students and their professors.

“We want to make a formal time for students and faculty to get to know each other outside of class,” he said.

Ultimately, the Colgate Society of Chemists aspires to make underclassmen aware of the opportunities open to them.

“We’re basically trying to make it less intimidating,” Delaney said. “[This Society] gives students interested in science another vehicle to communicate with people of similar interests.”