Colgate Couture – Style Smarts

The grind is upon us. Soon enough, term papers, lab reports, senior projects and yes, final exams will consume the lives of Colgate students. This heavy workload will understandably take a toll on your health and your sanity but it is not an excuse to let your look lag.

In years past, the final stretch of the semester transforms students from style savvy men and women to a sea of sloppy sweat-suit wearing zombies who roam about searching for their next caffeine fix. No more, Colgate!

Style is success so this semester, dress to impress! Dirty sweatshirts, unwashed jeans and pajama pants do nothing but bring down the library morale. Few people can look like fashion plates after pulling an all-nighter, but that does not mean you can dive into your dirty clothes hamper and pick out some of your least offensive pieces of laundry to wear to class.

Believe it or not, it is possible to assemble an outfit that is simple, chic and comfortable, so put those scrubby study clothes back in the closet and consider some of this season’s more scholarly options.

Hooded sweatshirts are easy, warm and laid-back, but come on guys, you can do better! Snuggle into Inhabit’s grey hooded cardigan. With all the comfort of your hoodie and then some, this cozy cashmere sweater is one of a kind. Banding around the hemlines creates a rouched effect and a thick belt ties this long cardigan shut.

If you can’t bear to study without your sweatshirt, try Mike & Chris’s Byron fleece on for size. This super-soft zip-up fleece in cream is extra toasty and a removable hood makes it sensible and versatile. Gold double snap closures around the wrists add a touch of flare and structured shoulders complement this fierce fleece’s flattering shape. Wear either of these sweatshirt substitutes with jeans or leggings for a look that’s ideal for class or a romantic date with your textbooks in the library.

Sometimes a simple dress is the easiest outfit a girl can wear. That being said, Humanoid’s fleece tunic is a no-brainer. This loose fitting black v-neck dress is accented by two brass buttons down the front. A cardigan-style collar makes for a relaxed preppy look, and two big, slouchy front pockets are perfect for those extra pens and pencils you’ll be carrying.

Jovovich Hawk’s hooded cashmere dress is smart and unique. The neck of this grey dolman sleeved sweater dress morphs seamlessly into a deep hood that can be worn on the head or scrunched under the chin. Throw these dresses on with some thick tights and pair of winter boots or Converse for a quick yet put together look.

Sweatpants are always an unfortunate end-of-the-semester staple. This year, throw out those awkward asphalt Colgate sweats and spruce up your study sessions with a pair of Harlow’s vintage sweatpants in dusk. With a ribbed elastic drawstring waist and fitted bottom hem, these adorable fleece pants are undoubtedly the most flattering sweats on the market. Pair them with a waffle shirt or a basic tee.

Someone certainly hit the books hard at design school because Marc by Marc Jacobs’ jumpsuit is an A+. Made for the most stylish of study-bugs, this wool onesie is erudite in espresso. A tailored bodice buttons up the front to a swooping scoop neck and the ballooned pant legs taper at the ankle. Layer it over a long sleeve tee for an effortless, edgy end-of-the-semester outfit.

Don’t let you studying push your style into a slump! Work hard, stay focused and let your intelligence shine through your brilliant fashion choices.