In The Light – Courtney Richardson

Originally from Berkeley, California, Courtney Richardson says that the opportunity to learn to adapt to a different setting drew her to Colgate.

“Colgate has a lot of potential for student change and student impact,” Richardson said.

Richardson is highly involved. She is Chairwoman for the Sisters of the Round Table, Director of Education for the Black Student Union, Minister of Foreign Affairs for the African Student Union, Co-director of the dance group Total Praise, the Nyte Flyte director for WRCU where she is also a radio DJ and a member of Konosioni. She was also a George Cobb Fellow for three consecutive years.

Furthermore, she is an Administrative Assistant in the Education Department and is in her fourth year of working at the ALANA Cultural Center where she supports student groups, organizing various events such as the upcoming student and faculty mixer.

A theatre and education double major Richardson participates heavily in Theatre Department activities. She has been a costume designer and directed several pieces, including an adaptation of Toni Morrison’s “Beloved,” and “This Is Our Youth,” for SpringFest last year. Her culminating piece will premiere next semester.

Outside of Colgate Richardson has already started a production company called Kiss the Ring Productions, presenting various media exhibitions of Black leaders and social movements at venues such as Hamilton College’s annual Social Justice Conference.

Richardson is applying to various graduate programs in performance studies, urban education, and mass communication and media studies. Her passions are the arts and inner city and urban education, and her dream is to start a theatre group for school-aged children who might not be able to participate in the arts otherwise.

Richardson spent time at Horizons for Homeless Children in Boston as a Manzie Fellow in summer 2006. She provided classroom curriculum, ESL training and nutrition assistance for children, ages three to five.

“I just hope that I’ve been an influence for my peers,” Richardson said. “If I haven’t, I guess that’s my deepest regret.”

She wants those who have no voice to be given a voice.

“Explore, express, and embrace yourself and others,” Richardson advised.