In the Light – Anand Kapur

Amanda Fox

Anand Kapur, attending school hundreds of miles from home, has no regrets about his last four years. An international student from Calcutta, India, Kapur has made Colgate his home away from home in every sense. Kapur certainly went through a phase of adjustment. “I thought I was pretty westernized, but I definitely noticed the culture shock,” said Kapur.

Citing the physical and cultural differences, Kapur put his attachment to home aside in pursuit of a liberal arts education. “The Indian educational system is very different [from Colgate]. It’s more of a European model. You declare your major at the start of your first year. But I had no idea what I wanted to do,” Kapur said. Kapur took advantage of the liberal arts curriculum, dabbling in a variety of subjects before finally settling on a Philosophy major and an Economics minor.

Kapur has been extremely involved on campus. He joined the South Asian Cultural Club (SACC) as soon as he arrived. Kapur is also a member of the Hindu Students Association (HSA), an organization that was not present on campus before Kapur came to Colgate. Kapur is proud that the club he founded with other students will carry on. “It’s a place to feel at home, but can propagate my culture to others,” he said.

Kapur is a member of the Cricket Club and is an Residential Advisor (RA) in Cutten Complex. An RA since sophomore year, Kapur described the experience as rewarding for he’s impacted other’s college experience in small but meaningful ways.

Kapur advises first-years to take advantage of Colgate. “Colgate is willing to be proactive. It’s amazing,” he said. Referring to the success of HSA, he added, “I think what makes Colgate great is that people will do something they aren’t familiar with.”

Kapur has received the George Cobb fellowship for outstanding community leadership for the last two years. Now he is president of the fellowship.

Kapur intends to start a job this July working as an analyst for Merrill Lynch in New York City. He interned there over the summer and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Kapur described his senior year as “surreal, and lots of senioritis. You do get sentimental,” he added. “I really treasured friendships with past students as well as current first-years, sophomores and juniors. But also, I’m just happy with my friendships with those in my own year because they were the ones with whom I joined SACC and helped start up new organizations.”