Swimming and Diving Cruises Past Dartmouth

The Colgate men’s swimming and diving team played host to Dartmouth last Friday at Lineberry Natatorium and came out on top by the score of 126.5-114.5. To open the meet, Colgate earned a victory in the 400y medley by 11 seconds as senior tri-captians Greg Dunlavey and Dave Hill, junior Zach Whitman and sophomore Dan Lathrop dominated their competition with a time of 3:35.77. The Raiders got individual victories from Hill in the 200y breast with a time of 2:16.14, his best of the year, and from senior Zach Grobengieser in the 50y free, finishing first in 22.00. Grobengieser was followed by teammate Dunlavey’s 22.22, Lanthrop’s 22.86 and sophomore Brian Kennedy’s 23.18.

In diving, sophomore Stephen Haskin won the three-meter board, tying Dartmouth’s Dan Weisman with 218.03 points; he also finished second

in the one-meter with 238.05 points. In the 200y individual medley, Whitman and Hill tied for first with identical times of 2:01.00. Later, first-year Robert Rutowski earned the victory in the 200y fly, finishing ahead of Whitman’s 2:04.57 with a time of 2:02.16. Grobensieger also came in second in the 100 free, only .27 seconds behind the winner, and sophomore Rich McMahon finished second in the 1000y free with a time of 10:28.93.

The meet was close throughout and finished in dramatic style. Going into the final event, the 800y freestyle relay, the Raiders led 115.5-110.5 but needed a victory in this event to win the overall meet. Led by sophomore George Bennitt, Grobengiester’s top split of 1:47.88, first-year Cameron Voell and junior Jeff Jakob, the Raiders came through in the clutch, smoking Dartmouth by more than six seconds.

“Our men rose to the occasion and showed their resolve in a way that couldn’t be equaled by the Dartmouth squad,” Grobengiester said via email.

The team looks to ride itsmomentum into next weekend for the Terrapin Cup Invitational at the University of Maryland.