Raiders ECACHL Season Off to a Rough Start

The Colgate men’s hockey team opened its ECACHL season losing on the road against Yale 2-1 Friday night at Ingalls Rink. Though leading 1-0 after two periods off a powerplay goal by Freshman Jason Williams, the Raiders were unable to hold the lead and gave up two third period goals. Yale played tough defense, managing to kill three 5-on-3 situations in the game.

The succeeding evening, in Providence playing Brown, Colgate got off to a better start, but let their lead slip away, allowing four third period goals and Brown to steal a tie in the waning seconds of the game. The Raiders held a commanding 3-1 lead through the first period, and was still ahead by a goal going into the third. Sophomore Tom Riley got the scoring going midway through the first with a powerplay goal. This was followed by a short-handed goal by Sophomore Mark Anderson, his first of the season, to give the Raiders a 2-0 lead. Sophomore David Sloane also notched his first of the season, which made the score 3-1. This lead changed hands midway through the third, but then Junior Assistant Captain Tyler Burton tied the game at four with his fourth goal of the season. Colgate went down again and then took the lead again, both tallies by Junior Marc Fulton, his sixth and seventh of the season, only a 1:29 apart. Brown was forced to pull their goaltender to put out an extra attacker, and with a mere 16.4 seconds remaining in the game was able to level the score at six, which was how the game ended. Brown dominated the game, outshooting Colgate 50-27 overall. Junior starting goaltender Mark Dekanich finished with 44 saves, including 19 in the third period.

This upcoming weekend will be Silver Puck Weekend, where Colgate will host league rivals Dartmouth, Friday evening at 7 PM, and Harvard, Saturday afternoon at 4 PM.