Field Hockey Splits Doubleheader

Emily Rawdon

Maybe two heads aren’t better than one. At least that’s the impression the Lady Raiders’ field hockey team got after their first game on Saturday.

Last weekend brought another doubleheader for the Raiders, and despite a tough loss on Saturday to Lock Haven the team recovered for a win the next day against St. Francis.

Saturday Colgate went to Pennsylvania to face off against Lock Haven. Ten minutes in,the Eagles’ Rene Kemmerer broke through the Raider backfield and powered the ball into the net to break the scoreless tie. The Lady Eagles’ show continued for the remainder of the half.

Coming back from the break, the scoreboard flashed a grim 4-0 deficit for Colgate. It was only a matter of minutes before Lock Haven began to add more to their column. By the 58th minute, the lead was stretched to 9-0.

Colgate’s only goal of the game came with 5:19 left when Sophomore Katie Joyce scooped up a misdirected ball from the Lady Eagle defense and sent it in to avoid the shut-out.

Lock Haven dictated the game and the stats followed; 34-10 in shots and 12-5 in penalty corners in favor of the Eagles. Nonetheless, Colgate senior goalkeeper Jacque DeMarco made 14 saves in a valiant effort.

However, Sunday was the dawning of a new day for the Raiders. The team traveled to Loretto, Pennsylvania to compete against St. Francis University.

The St. Francis Red Flash found the net 5 min 28 sec into the first and held the one-goal lead until first-year Katelyn Nerbonne evened the game sixteen minutes later. The 1-1 score stood through the break. But only two minutes into the second half, Colgate found the lead as junior Lauren Remkus sunk a six-yard shot.

The Raiders’ lead didn’t last too long, though, St. Francis answered at the 46:27 mark. However, Sophomore Lauren Carey followed the St. Francis tally five minutes later by converting a penalty stroke, putting the Raiders up for good.

“We came out confident and together; we knew what we wanted to achieve and weren’t going to let St. Francis take that away.” Remkus said.

From there, the game was all Colgate. Sophomore Laura Flisnik found the net in the fifty-second minute of play when she sent a rebound into St. Francis’ goal. Remkus finalized the score at 5-2 with 3:23 left.

“The goals were representative of our team mentality. We kept working hard to stay on offense and score.” Remkus said.

Overall, Colgate out-shot the Red Flash 24-10. DeMarco also racked up five more saves to add to her Patriot League lead.

Hopefully the Raider’s momentum will continue. The 2-5 Raiders return to Tyler’s Field this Saturday, when they meet West Chester (1-7) at 11:00 am.