Sneak Peak into Welcome Back Week

“Welcome back to Colgate!” Such a phrase means only three things here: the return of an incessant workload, imminent snow and the arrival of Welcome Back Week. Sponsored by the Colgate Activities Board (CAB), Welcome Back Week is composed of many diverse activities, ranging from music to movies to falafel to the annual Foam Party.The Wednesday night barbecue and cookies at the African, Latin, Asian and Native American (ALANA) Cultural Center is the first event of the week. From 5-7:30 p.m., everyone is invited to kick off the school year with food sponsored by ALANA and the Sisters of the Round Table (SORT). Immediately following, the Palace theatre in town is hosting two music groups: The Brakes & The Good Luck Joes.Thursday afternoon, the Colgate Jewish Union and the Muslim Student Association will sell falafel on the quad. CAB will also offer popsicles and Frisbee at that time. At 7:15 p.m., the T.V. room at the O’Connor Campus Center (Coop) will be transformed into a yoga class put on by The Colgate Yoga Club. As for late night activities, the 2007 Class Council is putting on the Senior Class Karaoke Night at Nichols & Beal.Friday afternoon, a bus will leave from The Hall of Presidents (HOP) to take students who are interested in paintballing to Constantia supported by CAB Travel and Recreation. For those interested in a different kind of sport, the African American Student Alliance and SORT are organizing The Barbeque and Sweet Tooth Satisfaction Event, taking place on Whitnall field at 5:00 p.m. Here, students can engage in eating contests and enjoy ice cream sundaes and many other games and prizes. At the same time, at Cutten Basketball Court, a 3-on-3-basketball tournament hosted by Brothers will take place with t-shirt sales and other giveaways. Colgate Students can kick off the evening with CAB Take Two’s 7:00 p.m. showing of X-Men: The Last Stand at Love Auditorium and then One Night Stands at the Creative Arts House at 9:00 p.m.Saturday starts off with the Sweet Tooth Social on the academic quad backed by the Colgate International Community and the Caribbean Students Association. The Rainbow Alliance is running a candy table at the Coop from 3-4 p.m. and a second showing of X-Men: The Last Stand starts at 7:00 p.m. in Love Auditorium. The old golf course will be the site of the Colgate Christian Fellowship’s annual bonfire at 9:00 p.m. Colgate Students can end the evening at the Foam Party at the Palace Theater, which begins at 11:00 p.m. and lasts until 3:00 a.m.Sunday from 6:00 to 9:00 p.m. at ALANA is the Vision Potluck dinner, and Monday evening is open mic night at the Barge Canal Coffee Co. At 5:45 p.m. on Tuesday, the first-year barbecue supported by the Colgate Christian Fellowship will take place on the residential quad. At 9:00 p.m. that same evening, CAB Special events will sponsor Chris Porter, a comedian from Last Comic Standing and Comedy Central, to perform in the chapel. Wednesday from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m. is the annual Student Involvement Fair at the academic quad. All those looking to join clubs and get involved can attend and learn about all the different varieties of clubs Colgate has to offer, as well as sign up to join these organizations. While browsing the clubs and activities, students are invited to partake in a barbecue held by the Student Government Association and Sodexho.