Johnson Takes Place as Dean

Johnson Takes Place as Dean

Charlotte H. Johnson was hired as the new Dean of the College on August 1, 2006 leaving her former position as Assistant Dean for Student Affairs at the University of Michigan Law School after nine years. Her new role includes overseeing residential education, the Diversity Initiative and the student affairs division consisting of more than 50 professionals and 12 departments. According to Johnson, she intends to first gather information and then begin assessing any changes that ought to be instituted at Colgate. “A few of the things that I’m just thinking about generally is the Dean of College’s specific role within the larger diversity and wellness initiative and how [I] can contribute,” she said. According to Professor of Economics Jill Tiefenthaler, a member of the Dean of the College search committee, Colgate chose Johnson because of her qualities and experience.Johnson was previously a partner in a litigation firm that defended hospitals, doctors, corporations and cities. She then became a member of the senior student services staff at the University of Michigan Law School, and a member of the core team responsible for developing legal and communication strategies in defense of the University of Michigan’s admissions policies.Johnson made the switch from litigation to higher education after she was encouraged to apply for a position in the law school by some Michigan alumni, a couple of whom were former mentors. After a great deal of self-reflection she submitted her application and was hired. “If I sat down and listed four or five [of my] core values those values would probably be more consistent with higher education and being an administrator than they are with being a litigator,” she said. “Once I made the adjustment, I thought the environment suited me much better.”Johnson found that, in making the switch to the Colgate community, she had a degree of apprehension.”There was some trepidation on my part wondering whether or not I’d be able to make the adjustment, but I feel that I’m really making it well,” Johnson said. “There are differences, but it’s the people who make a community, and people are so wonderful here and there’s such a strong sense of community, so I feel very supported.” Johnson feels that Colgate is the right fit for her.”It has a set of institutional values that I believe in very deeply; education should be a transformative experience,” she said. “I lived in Michigan for most of my life, so it took a lot to take me out of there and Colgate has it.” Tiefenthaler is also very positive about Johnson’s new role as Dean of the College, concluding, “Dean Johnson can help Colgate continue to move forward-most importantly as a leader of the residential education and diversity initiatives.”