Going For Colgate Olympic Gold

The Colgate Activities Board (CAB) hosted Winterfest this past weekend, treating Colgate students to mock Winter Olympics on Saturday, a study break in the O’Connor Campus Center on Monday and an overnight ski trip to Gore Mountain. Plans for the event began at the end of last semester and were finalized at the beginning of this semester.

The Winter Olympics, held on Saturday from 12 to 3 p.m., were a huge success, with over 20 teams of eight to 12 people. Teams competed for the grand prize of dinner at Parkside. The Outdoor Education team, “Hungry Unicorns,” won the competition.

Teams competed in events such as human foosball, musical chairs, flip cup with water, a trivia game featuring Colgate and Olympic trivia, relay races and gladiator jousting.

“Some teams took the competition very seriously and even went to bed early on Friday night to prepare,” sophomore CAB Special Events Subcommittee Co-Chair Erika Scuadroni said.

CAB organizers were concerned that there would not be any snow for the event. Events were planned both indoors and out to accommodate the weather and athletes so that they did not become too cold. In previous years, the Winter Olympics have been held at the Hall of Presidents and on Whitnall Field, but due to construction, the indoor events were moved to Huntington.

“It was a challenge to plan for a different location,” CAB Special Events Subcommittee Co-Chair junior John Steigerwald said. “But despite the challenge, it turned out okay and people had fun.”

All participating teams and CAB volunteers received free t-shirts. As this year’s Winter Olympics coincided with the actual Olympic Games in Torino, Italy, CAB used the official Torino 2006 logo with Colgate inserted in recognition of the games.

“The Winter Olympics attracts all class years. Teams are mixed with people from all different groups on campus,” Steigerwald said. “It’s a fun event that brings people together.”

The CAB Travel and Recreation subcommittee also sponsored a weekend-long trip to Gore Mountain. This is the Travel and Recreation Subcommittee’s first year, so they sent surveys to students asking for feedback on activities. Many students expressed an interest in a ski trip to a local resort. Twenty people participated, with a good mix from all classes. Students who

continued on page A-3

cparticipated received group discounts for lodging, lift tickets and rentals. Transportation was provided by CAB, with the group staying at a hotel located half an hour from Gore Mountain.

“The skiing conditions were perfect; it snowed all Saturday,” CAB Travel and Recreation Subcommittee Chair sophomore Ayanna Williams said. “I think it was one of the most successful CAB events of the year and I’m hoping for more participation next year so that we can make this an annual event.”

CAB’s Monday evening study break was held in the O’Connor Campus Center from 7-9 p.m. CAB hired two professional masseuses from Healing Within for the event. Many students showed up in order to study, socialize and snack on chips and cookies before the midterm rush begins.

Even those who didn’t win anything enjoyed the Winterfest activities.

“Although my team, the “Returning Champs” didn’t win, the day was full of excitement and Winterfest continues to be a great way to break up the cold monotony of Hamilton’s winter, get outdoors, and have a great time!” Senior Jameson Hyde said.