Raiders Sweep Niagara and Buffalo

The men’s and women’s tennis teams capitalized on their home-court advantage last weekend when both squads won their matches inside Sanford Field House.

The home venue has been lucky for the Raiders in recent years and this season has been no different. The women kicked off the weekend against Niagara, a team that reached the NCAA Tournament last season. Despite its past success, Niagara was no match for the Raiders, who came away with a 6-1 win. The victory improved the women’s record at home to 4-0 and their overall record to 4-2.

The key to the victory was the team’s quick start, as the women swept all three doubles matches to earn the doubles point. Sophomore Alex Seaton and junior Jackie Couture have been playing great doubles all season long and continued to play well in an 8-4 win, while junior Lil Vo and first-year Cameron Thaney also played well at second doubles, also winning 8-4 to clinch the victory. Sophomore Lindsay Grossman and first-year Erin Fenn had no difficulties in completing the sweep, also winning 8-4.

“I am happy with how Jackie and Alex have been playing doubles and it was great that we got off to a good start,” head coach Patrick Fisher said. “We have been playing good team tennis, but we definitely have work to do on our doubles play. Doubles could be the difference between winning and losing a match in the Patriot League.”

The ladies carried over the momentum from doubles to play strong in singles. Couture easily overcame Danielle Grenier in an impressive 6-0, 6-0 victory at first singles, while Seaton nearly matched that at second singles with a 6-0, 6-1 victory.

Vo had an easy straight sets victory at fourth singles, 6-2, 6-3, while Thaney and Fenn rounded out the singles lineup with matching straight-set victories.

The Colgate men faced Niagara and Buffalo at home in what proved to be a tough doubleheader. However, the men were glad to be home after playing their first three matches away from home, and the team did not disappoint.

After winning two-of-three doubles matches to begin the day, the men expanded upon their lead by playing fantastic singles. Junior Chris Innes had an easy win at first singles, while first-year Martin MacIntyre and junior Marshall Wheeler easily won their third and fourth singles’ matches, respectively, to ensure a win for the Raiders. Sophomore Tyler Deck, playing fifth singles, also had a relatively easy victory to give the Raiders their fifth point.

The Raiders could not enjoy their victory just yet, however, for they had to square off against Buffalo only two hours later. Just like earlier in the day, the Raiders came out firing and took the doubles point by sweeping all three matches.

After Wheeler lost his fourth-singles match, tying the score tied at one, the Raiders saw themselves ahead in the first, second and third singles matches. However, the Buffalo players kept the matches very close, before Innes, sophomore Mickey Gallagher and MacIntyre clinched their respective matches to give the Raiders the victory. Deck and first-year Matthew McCormick also won their matches to give the Raiders a convincing 6-1 victory.

“We played tremendous doubles and I am impressed with how mentally tough everyone was,” Fisher said. “Playing two matches in one day is not easy, but the team responded well and never gave up. It is great to get two victories and I hope we can use these wins to win next weekend.”

Innes shared similar sentiments. “We had two good wins that gives us the confidence and momentum we need going into the heart of our season,” he said.

The Raider men now have a record of 3-2, which gives both the men and women winning records heading into this weekend, as the men face off against St. Bonaventure and Binghamton.