CUTV and Maroon-News Too

This past Saturday afternoon, I was absentmindedly watching television while shopping online when suddenly, in the span of what could not have been more than a minute, I heard the words “blow job,” “cum” and “masturbate.” I wondered how I came to have free porn. Had the administration suddenly decided to reward its students for their hours spent at the library by adding a porn channel to its basic cable offerings? Had someone decided to play a perverted joke on the girls living in Theta? But then as I turned to look at the television, I noticed that I recognized the people talking dirty to me. They were Colgate students, and the show was a CUTV program, not porn! Right then a caller phoned in, screaming obscenities at the hosts, and then proceeded to ask the female host if she preferred to spit or swallow. Disgusted and uninterested in hearing her response, I turned off the television and turned to The Maroon-News. But then I came upon an article discussing blowjobs. Did I not get the memo? Was it national oral sex week? Is it normal to discuss sexual favors and personal details about one’s sex life in a school newspaper or on a school television program, both of which not only students but professors see? Now my intention here is not to knock The Maroon News or CUTV. I work with both, and I hold my fellow writers and CUTV staff in the highest regard. But I wonder, have we crossed the line? While I do not consider myself overly conservative, I feel there are some things that should remain private – if not for your sake, maybe for the sake of the student body or your professors. What about the next person you meet? Do you want them to think to themselves, “She’s the one who likes it from behind.” Maybe I’m the one with the outdated views, but I can’t help but be shocked when another student is mentioning the “shocker” on a college television station. CUTV is not HBO – although it’d be nice if Colgate offered that for free – and I don’t think I’ve even heard Howard Stern mention that one. Is shock value what we’re going for? When did we begin believing that shocking your audience makes good television or news?What students do in their personal lives with their significant others should be their own private business, not business of the entire campus’. I believe that it reflects a level of immaturity on members of the student body who feel that they need to explicitly discuss their sex life with others. While sex should not be something that we are ashamed of, when did it become so casual that we can discuss it in front of hundreds of people? In addition to reflecting a certain level of immaturity, it also lowers the quality of the media outlets at Colgate. How credible can a college television program be if it includes viewers calling in to scream obscenities or a host discussing the type of underwear she chose to wear that evening? What about an article that gives tips on blow jobs? Are these the type of credentials employers want to see on your r?esum?e? I realize it has become increasingly common for sex discussions to take place in media venues, as we have seen with such popular television shows as Sex and the City and magazines such as Cosmo, Glamour, Marie Claire and Elle. However, The Maroon-News and CUTV are not any of the above, nor is it their intent. Shows or magazines that offer advice on relationships can be interesting and relevant, but those that serve simply to get a laugh out of some drunk frat boys or make your professors blush might be better submitted to Cosmo or Maxim.