Track Runs Well At Upstate Challenge

The Colgate men and women’s track teams traveled to the Cornell Upstate Challenge this last weekend. The men’s team had several impressive performances, taking first in three events and having 10 athletes turn in personal bests in their events. The women had five athletes finish in the top five.The Colgate’s men team was led by the individual performances of junior Nate Rosenthal in the 3,000m and sophomore Mike Hanlon in the mile, as each won their respective event. The Raiders 400m runners, sophomores Don Boyajian and John Gillespie and first-years Thomas Dilworth and Osato Ukponmwan, also shone as they took first in the 4 x 400 relay.The Raiders turned in an impressive showing in the mile where Hanlon won the event in 4:22:23 and sophomore team mate John Gillespie was right behind him with a personal best time of 4:22:89, finishing third. Junior Sean Curran and sophomore Scott Deroo also placed eighth and ninth, respectively.In the 3,000m, Rosenthal had an impressive performance, dominating the field with a time of 9:08:77, his best of the season, beating the second place finisher by 10 seconds.In the 4 x 400m the Raiders got out to an early lead thanks to a strong leg by Dilworth, who ran his best time of the season. After Dilworth gave the Raiders an early edge, they never looked back.Also performing well for the Raiders was senior Jon Cook and first-year Jon Crossett in the heptathlon, competing in seven events. Colgate also saw several other personal bests by Dilworth and classmate Andy Holway in the 400m, first-year Jeffrey Tufts in the 800m, first-year Osato Ukponmwan in the 200m, sophomore Alden Ellis in the long jump and junior Alex Fullere-Young in the 500m.Head coach Art McKinnon was pleased with his teams performance: “Colgate athletes again competed well and continued to show a lot of improvement.”On the women’s side, sophomore Hannah Falling again had an impressive weekend, this time finishing second in the 3,000m with a time of 10:21:84, placing her seventh on the Colgate all-time list. “We were not at the top of our game this week,” head coach Laura Nardelli said, “but we had some bright spots like Hannah’s performance.”The performance of junior Lisa Germain, was another bright spot for the Raiders, as she turned in two top-five performances for the Raiders. Germain leaped 5.39m in the long jump, earning her fourth place and 10.86m in the triple jump, placing her fifth.Sophomore Elizabeth Crowley preformed well at Cornell, running two solid 800m races, one individual and the second as a member of the 4 x 800m team. In the 800m individual event, Crowley had a strong race, according to Nardelli, placing fourth with a time of 2:26:61.The Raiders also showcased some of their younger runners, first-years Kathryn Marvel and Abby Chapman. Marvel placed fifth in the mile with a time of 5:20:53 and Chapman was two seconds behind her in sixth. “Our first-year distance runners are coming along well and getting their feet wet” Nardelli said.This weekend some of the members of the men’s team will travel to the Adidas Boston Indoor Classic with the women’s team, while other men will compete at Boston University.