Sex Week Speaker Asks Students “Was It Rape?”

Colgate students packed into Memorial Chapel Monday night to listen to Bret Sokolow offer students a clearer idea about where the line between drunk sex and date rape lies. Sokolow believes the biggest thing students can take away a clearer “understanding about consent and incapacitation” for sex. To help students understand where this sometimes blurry line lies, Sokolow turned the Colgate audience into a jury. Together they had to decided whether they events that took place between two college students named “Amy” and “Todd” were just drunk sex or date rape. The lively Colgate crowd started out in a good mood as Sokolow started to describe what sounded similar to a typical Thursday night at many college campuses. Two students named Amy and Todd met that night at the party and hit it off. Todd had only three beers, while Amy had the equivalent of 15-17 drinks thanks to Jell-O shots made with Everclear, a 180 proof alcohol. A student later asked if Todd knew what was in the Jell-O shots. Sokolow was happy to hear this question as it means they are paying attention to what is in their drinks. “Not only did Todd know what was in the Jell-O shots,” Sokolow said, “but he made them.” After finishing her shots, Amy got sick outside and asked Todd to take her home. Todd saw her safely to her room and was about to leave when Amy asked for help in getting a glass of water. When Tom had gotten Amy her water, he again made his way to the door when Amy got up and began to kiss him. While making out with Todd, Amy had to make a hurried escape to the bathroom where she was sick for a second time. After brushing her teeth, Todd and Amy began making out again and this time much more passionately. Soon, Todd and Amy were naked and about to have sex. At this point, Amy asked for some time to recover because she was worried she might be sick again. Tom protested saying he was at “the point of no return,” but Amy fell asleep for half an hour while Todd watched television. When Amy awoke, she told Todd she was ready to go and they then had sex. When they were done, Todd and Amy talked for a bit. Amy feel asleep and Todd left, leaving her a note with his name and phone number.When Amy woke up the next morning, she had a massive hang over and no recollection of what happened to her last night. She saw Todd’s note and asked her roommate if she had someone over named Todd the night before. When her roommate said she had not Amy realized the note was for her and called Todd. As Todd told her what happened the previous night, Amy found out that she was no longer a virgin in what Sokolow called “the worst possible way.” Amy had a rape kit done and soon Todd was charged with second degree sexual assault, meaning that Todd had sex with Amy while he knew her to be – or should have known her to be – intoxicated. When he had finished telling Todd and Amy’s story, Sokolow put the audience to a vote about Todd’s guilt or innocence. The audience was evenly divided, almost 50-50. Students then shared their reasons for voting as they did. Students had opinions ranging from placing the blame on Amy for putting herself in that situation to saying that they believed nothing of Todd’s story. The events of the night before had been recounted solely by Todd, as he was the only one who remembered them. While the jury at Colgate may not have formed a consensus, the jury at Todd’s trial did. After a seven-hour deliberation, the jury unanimously found Todd guilty and asked for the maximum punishment under the law. The judge gave Todd two years in jail. He had to finish his degree at a Junior College and has to register as a sex offender for the rest of his life. When Sokolow was asked what would have happened if the roles had been reversed, many students were outraged. If Todd had been inebriated and Amy sober, this would be impossible, he said, because of the physical limitations that come with male inebriation. Sophomore Michelle LeRoux thought that this fact made no sense. “It could happen to guys,” she said, “but it’s more of an issue for girls.” Sophomore Dave Kilpatrick believed the performance was effective. “Mr. Sokolow presented a balanced version of Todd and Amy’s story,” he said. Senior Celin Wittman had additional thoughts. “While I had previously seen similar presentations, Mr. Sokolow gave a good speech and was funny even though the presentation could have been shorter,” she said The presentation was part of “Sex Week,” which was put on by the Colgate Activities Board.