Men and Women’s Track & Field Review: Raiders Have Successful Weekend at Coach P Invitational

Senior Anna Orientale shines in the Coach P Invitational for Colgate, coming in first place in the middle distance 800-meter race this past Saturday and setting a personal record, with a time of 2:16.58.

This weekend, the men and women’s track and field team traveled to Bethlehem, Pennsylvania to compete at the Coach P Invitational hosted by Moravian College. Overall, the Raiders performed very well at this meet, with several individual athletes setting personal records and contributing to the team’s success.

For the men, senior Daniel Mosko had a particularly exciting day. He has had a very strong senior season, and continues to improve at each meet. He placed first in the hammer throw and recorded the second longest throw in program history. Additionally, Mosko has already earned a spot in the ECAC/IC4A meet at Princeton from May 12-14, and is the first-ever Raider to qualify for this competition. Also on the field, first-year Patrick Needham recorded a personal record and the longest throw of the season for the Raiders with his 35.77-meter discus throw.

On the track, first-years Jonathon Abbott and Lucas Culley both placed well in distance, each setting a personal record.  Abbott placed first in the 1500-meter run, while Culley finished third in the 3,000-meter Steeplechase.

Junior sprinter Colin Loughlin and sophomore sprinter Anthony Castillo ran the 400-meter dash and both finished in the top five. After a great indoor season, sophomore Oliver Moe was back at it, as he recorded a top-10 finish in the 200-meter dash. His 22.78-second time marks the fastest time in the event this season for Colgate.

The women’s team also had a solid day, with many personal records set and top spots taken. Senior Anna Orientale placed first in the 800-meter race, setting a personal record. Her time of 2:16.58 also set the ninth fastest time in Colgate history. First-year Lauren Henske placed sixth in the 400-meter dash, tying her personal record.

In the 3,000-meter steeplechase, sophomore Ashley de Hechavarria finished fourth, with a time of 12:22.96. She set a personal record for the second week in a row, and recorded the sixth fastest time in program history. Junior Meghan DioGuardi and sophomore Denise Larson placed in the top three in the 10,000-meter run. DioGuardi’s time of 40:28.54 put her in second place, and Larson’s time of 41:35.62 put her in third. Meanwhile, the 4×100-meter relay team of sophomore Marina Reilly, first-year Carly Schwartz, Henske and junior Maggie Cusick finished in 50.63 seconds, taking fourth place.

On the field, the women had an even more successful day. Sophomore Regine Cooper competed in shot put, throwing for 11.63 meters and taking second place. Cooper’s throw was the fifth longest in program history. Reilly and Cusick both competed in the triple jump, where they placed in the top ten. Reilly recorded a jump of 11.41 meters, which secured fourth place and the fifth longest jump in Colgate’s outdoor track history. Cusick finished with a 10.60-meter jump, which put her in eighth place. This was the first invitational at which Cusick competed in the triple jump, and she recorded the eighth-longest jump in Colgate history.

The men and women will travel to North Carolina next weekend, where they will compete in the Phoenix Invitational hosted by Elon University on Saturday, April 15.