Denzel Curry Delivers with Large Colgate Crowd

The extraordinarily talented Denzel Curry gives an exciting performance,commanding the Palace Theater stage.

On Thursday, April 6, Denzel Curry performed at the Palace Theater in Hamilton. This event was organized by SCOPE and Colleges Against Cancer, and co-sponsored by Blue Diamond Society, Broad Street Records, Korean Culture Association, Philanthropists at Colgate, Phi Delta Theta, Protoculture, Theta Chi and WRCU 90.1 F.M. The show was opened by DJs Sweeterman and Orange Wilson. The suggested door donation of $5 amounted to over $600 raised for the American Cancer Society.

Denzel Curry drew in a crowd of over 350 students, all of whom were actively engaged in the entire performance. Curry interacted with the audience and joined them off stage on multiple occasions. When he performed in the crowd, the excitement was evident. Curry’s last venture into the crowd included him performing an entire song while on the shoulders of two audience members. He performed this song to a female audience member he earlier called out for being beautiful, while perched on the shoulders of other audience members.

For his last song and namesake for his latest album Ultimate, Curry ditched his shirt and threw the rest of his energy into the performance. 

People who attended the concert felt as if students who were not there had missed out on a major Colgate event.

“It was the most well-attended concert I think I’ve ever seen at the palace,” senior Taylor Ellerkamp said.

“The energy was palpable, and SCOPE was really pleased with the turnout. This was our best event to date. Denzel Curry gave a crazy performance. He jumped into the crowd, started a mosh pit [and] there was crowd surfing at one point. I couldn’t believe it,” senior and President of SCOPE Claire Binder said.

Other students in attendance, including senior Brittney Dorow – who is the lead singer of the Colgate student band N0 Standards –  felt similarly.

“Curry did an incredible job of commanding everyone’s attention; when he said, ‘make a circle,’ everyone just moved. It was hilarious and awesome at the same time. He kept everyone 100 percent engaged with the performance, which is something that is really difficult to do. I struggle with it every time I perform” Dorow said.