Movie Picks: What We’re Watching

DAZED AND CONFUSED

You’re not L-I-V-I-N until you’ve seen this movie directed by Richard Linklater. Taking place over the course of a day (specifically the last day of high school), Dazed follows high school student and football player Randall “Pink” Floyd (Jason London), questioning his commitment to a team that would make him sign a pledge he did not agree with. Meanwhile, incoming freshmen, like Mitch Kramer (Wiley Wiggins), prepare to get hazed as a form of initiation into high school. You will be immersed in the lives of these Texas teens and their friends living in 1976 as they smoke weed, drink, go to parties and drive around listening to songs like “Slow Ride” by Foghat and “Highway Star” by Deep Purple. Look out for Matthew McConaughey playing the somewhat sleazy but still charming 20-something who never fully grew out of his high school days.

THE USUAL SUSPECTS

This suspenseful mystery is sure to keep you intrigued for the full hour and 48 minute run-time. The film’s opening is fire, literally. It begins by showing a boat aflame in San Pedro harbor in Southern California. Verbal Kint and Arkosh Kovash are left as the sole survivors of a brutal shoot-out. Kovash has severe burns, is hospitalized and is unable to provide much helpful information to the police. Kevin Spacey’s Verbal Kint, a con man with cerebral palsy who has a lame foot and left hand, is taken in by police and cooperates by telling them about how he ended up in the shootout and informing on his fellow con men. The movie will keep you riveted through the ups and downs, but absolutely nothing will prepare you for the plot twist at the end.

10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT YOU

Ten things we don’t hate about this movie: 1. Heath Ledger as bad boy Patrick Verona. 2. This movie was actually based on Shakespeare’s “The Taming of the Shrew.” 3. The soundtrack will have you nostalgic for 90s girly pop and boy bands. 4. Nothing has or ever will beat Patrick’s epic promposal to Kat as he sings “Can’t Take My Eyes Off of You.” 5. Young floppy-eared Joseph Gordon-Levitt is the cutest Joseph Gordon-Levitt. 6. Kat’s poem to Patrick at the end gives us all the feels. 7. Bianca’s prom ensemble is a reminder that everything old really does become new again (aka T. Swift’s 2016 Grammy outfit). 8. The portrayal of high school parties is pretty spot-on. 9. The romance between Kat and Cameron’s best friends based on a mutual appreciation for medieval culture proves that there’s hope for all of us. 10. Who doesn’t love a good paintball flirt scene?

OFFICE SPACE

Working that boring 9-5 job is a tragic reality for a lot of people. However, cubicle life isn’t the end-all be-all, as computer programmer Peter Gibbons (Ron Livington) learns. He deals with a terrible boss who speaks annoyingly slow, company downsizing and crazy co-workers before receiving hypnotherapy and entering a weirdly relaxed state. Peter then starts disobeying his strict office rules and doing whatever he wants, which impresses the company consultants so much that they promote him. However, things start to go downhill for Peter and the company from that point. This movie is worth watching just for the scene of Peter and his colleagues beating up an office printer with baseball bats in a field as “D*mn It Feels Good to Be a Gangsta” by The Geto Boys plays in the background.