So you stole some bananas from Frank. That’s awesome and all, but what happens when half of a day passes and those once perfectly golden bananas are now too mushy to eat? Make some banana bread! It is the perfect comfort food and can be eaten at all hours of the day (and night!). And if you are looking for friends, sharing your banana bread may be the winning ticket.
I stole the recipe for “Healthier Banana Bread” and picture posted below from one of my favorite baking blogs called Crazy For Crust. This recipe is also conducive to those of you who are vegans, since no butter is used and almond milk can be substituted for regular milk!
“Healthier Banana Bread” Ingredients:
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3 medium tired bananas (brown spotted)
2 large eggs
7 tablespoons unsweetened vanilla almond milk or nonfat milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x5x3” loaf pan with cooking spray.
2. Stir together the sugars, the applesauce and the oil. Set aside.
3. Add bananas, eggs, milk, salt, and baking soda to a blender jar and blend until smooth.
4. Pour half of the banana mixture into the sugar mixture as well as one cup of all purpose flour. Stir until it is just incorporated, and then add the remaining banana mixture as well as one cup of whole wheat flour. Mix again until just incorporated. Stir in the mini chocolate chips if you have decided to use them. Pour into the prepared pan.
4. Bake for 45-55 minutes until a toothpick comes out with just a few crumbs. The top will turn out to be a nice golden brown. I like mine to have an underdone river along the top. In order to acheive this perfect balance, I bake it for closer to 45 minutes. If you want it to be well done throughout however, you should cook it towards the longer time.
5. Cool completely before removing loaf from pan, but you can cut slices from the pan after it’s cooled for about 15-20 minutes.