In The Light: Katie Rydell

Despite having lived in six different states, Katie Rydell has had no trouble making Colgate her home over the past four years. Most recently hailing from Nashville, Tenn., Colgate was Rydell’s first college visit and she looked no further. The senior quickly fell in love with the school and applied early decision. Colgate has not disappointed Rydell – though she does wish that the hill was slightly flatter.

Rydell is a double concentrator in economics and Spanish. Although Rydell admits that economics may not be her passion, she has achieved many other accomplishments in her career at Colgate thus far.

Rydell is a former President of Kappa Kappa Gamma, a student entrepreneurin the Thought Into Action Program (TIA) and an avid intramural basketball player. Under Rydell’s leadership, Kappa Kappa Gamma was named outstanding chapter of the year. One of Rydell’s current favorite involvements is her campus job as a delivery girl for the ColgateMaroon-News.

TIA has been one of Rydell’s favorite experiences at Colgate.

“I’m currently entering into the online dating and app world with my app called ‘Late Date.'” I hope in the future Late Date will be successful in helping people find last-minute dates for specific events,” Rydell said about her current work in the TIA program with fellow senior Amara Wilson.

“I love that Colgate people love other Colgate people,” Rydell said, who certainly demonstrates her own love for the Colgate community through her involvement in various different groups across campus.

Rydell understands that schooling will not always be a part of her life and she ultimately hopes to own a bakery, preferably one modeled after Meryl Streep’s character in the movie “It’s Complicated.”

Indeed, Rydell hopes that all Colgate students will value their four, short years on their college campus – embracing the plethora of opportunities that are open to them.

“In the words of my cousin James, ‘stay in school as long as you possibly can,'”Rydell reiterated, as a word of advice to first-years students on Colgate’s campus.