The Dischords and Resolutions Rock the Chapel

The Dischords and The Resolutions each performed a wonderfula cappella performance for families and students alike last Friday night, October 25, during their annual Family Weekend Concert.

The Dischords, a co-ed group of 18 singers, was the first to take the stage. Known for their wide range of songs and enthusiastic dance moves, the Dischords did not disappoint, delighting the audience with their set list. They performed their first song as a group with the lights off. “Timshel” by Mumford & Sons was a perfect opening song choice, especially when each member of the group held individual lights underneath their faces, turning them on and off with the beat. 

Following their theme of mostly mainstream, sing-along songs, the Dischords had fans humming under their breaths as senior Mitchell Tucci, featuring first-year Katie Lannin, sang a rendition of “Somebody That I Used to Know” by Gotye. The next song, with a solo by junior Kat Wolkin, was Train’s “Hey, Soul Sister.” Immediately following was a wonderful performance of the song “Radioactive” by Imagine Dragons with soloist sophomore Elena Aragon.

While the majority of the Dischords had a short break, the audience was able to hear an original song by their “Newbies,” otherwise known as the new members of thea cappella group. The three first-years, Matthew Condit, Natalie Krause and Lannin, wrote a song about their fellow members of the Dischords, which they sung to the tune of “Ho Hey” by the Lumineers.

Their last four songs captivated the audience just as much as the first five. After starting off with another admirably sung group song, the Dischords quickly followed with junior Justin Lannin’s passionate performance of “Feel Again” by OneRepublic. The next song was a mix of “I Love You Always Forever” by Donna Lewis and “Love Like Woe” by The Ready Set, sung by senior Annie Gaburo. Finally, first-year Lannin concluded the Dischords’ performance with a fantastic rendition of Taylor Swift’s “I Knew You Were Trouble.”

Up next were The Resolutions, another co-ed group of 20 singers who just recently, in the spring of 2012, celebrated their 20th anniversary as one of Colgate’s esteemed a cappellagroups. The group began their performance with several brand new songs, the first of which was senior Gabby Ambrosio’s performance of the song “Royals” by Lorde.

Sophomore Kevin Yapaola rocked the stage with his rendition of “Drive” by Incubus, which was spectacularly followed by Nelly Furtado’s “Powerless (Say What You Want),” sung by sophomore Kate Van Scoter.  Senior Mary Levine also impressed the audience with her performance of “Where the Streets Have No Name” by U2.

Like the Dischords, the Resos also gave their first-years time to shine on stage. However, the first-years of the Resolutions, Lauren Moscato, Haley Eicher, Hannah DeGarmo, Ben Fetzner, Joe Chacra, JC Barbrack and Peter Nicolo, acted in an original skit instead of singing. In the skit, Chacra insults the singing prowess of the other first-years, after which he is murdered – but the question is: who did it?  Complete with a flashback and a flash-forward, the skit inspired a great deal of laughs.

The Resos kicked off the last half of their performance with four more songs, moving on from the new ones to sing several older, more classic arrangements. As a group the Resos sang “Because” by the Beatles, which was directly followed by a fantastic duet to Smokey Robinson’s song “Cruisin’ Together,” with junior David Gildin and sophomore Melanie Silverman. Next, sophomore Jennifer Shelton sang “Low Road” by Grace Potter and the Nocturnals. Senior Joshua Jackson closed the show with his performance of Bastille’s “Pompeii,” which was a great ending to a wonderful evening ofa cappella.