Students and Hamilton Residents Run to Support Habitat For Humanity

Colgate students and Hamilton residents cheered on the runners of the half-marathon and 5K at the Colgate University Chapter of Habitat for Humanity sixth annual HomeRun on Saturday, April 13, on the Village Green. The event benefitted the Madison County Habitat for Humanity affiliate.

The Max Shacknai Center for Outreach, Volunteerism and Education (COVE) oversaw the event and predicts proceeds of $2,000 to aid in building houses for the less fortunate in the area was raised.

Habitat for Humanity is an international non-profit organization that aims to provide affordable housing to those in need. Colgate’s chapter of Habitat for Humanity sends students to building sites in the area, as well as across the country on breaks. In addition to building and fundraising, the group raises awareness about homelessness and the perils of unsafe housing.

This academic year alone, Colgate students have provided over 500 hours of service to local and out-of-area projects.

The benefits of this year’s HomeRun will stimulate local construction in hopes of continuing work.

The event was sponsored by many Central New York businesses and organizations, including NBT Bank, the Syracuse Research Corporation, Chobani, Walmart and the Chittenango Rotary Club.

Participants paid $25 for the 5K and $35 for the half-marathon to benefit the charity.  The largest group to register to run together received a pizza party, as well as t-shirts. Holy Smokes provided a free barbeque lunch for all runners and volunteers.

This year, Colgate invited Peter Sagal, host of NPR’s “Wait, Wait … Don’t Tell Me!” radio program to address the runners before the race. As an avid runner, Sagal also ran the 5K. He acted as a guide for a build competitor, joked and gave inspiration to the HomeRun participants at the starting lines. Sagal spoke to a crowd Saturday night at the Palace Theater about his life experiences as an author, playwright, actor and radio host.

Runners of the 5K were entertained by participants, Assistant Director of Outdoor Education and Climbing Specialist Michael Savage, Jerry Amann-Burns, sophomore Ben Cook and Video Journalism Coordinator Sam Ward. The four ran together inside a yellow fabric circle.

“It was so great to know that running the race was benefitting Habitat for Humanity,” first-year and 5K participant Hannah Winslow said. “It made finishing all the more satisfying.”

Contact Sara Hinton at

[email protected].