Third Annual ‘Gate-Town Connection Brings Students and Townspeople Together

The third annual ‘Gate-Town Connection on Sunday, April 6 hosted Colgate University students and Hamilton residents on Whitnall Field to celebrate the relationship between the two communities. The Blue Diamond Society (BDS), the Athletics Department, the Office of the Dean of the College, Gamma Phi Beta, Philanthropists at Colgate (PAC) and the Sidekicks Program worked together to present the event.

From 4 p.m. to 7 p.m., students, faculty and townspeople stepped out to enjoy the barbeque provided by Frank Dining Hall. Danger Boy, a band consisting of three Colgate professors, provided the music. The inflatable slide and bouncy house were met with much delight by children and their Colgate Sidekicks. Enthusiastic attendees participated in a pie-eating contest and entertained the crowds of onlookers.

Colgate’s Division I athletic teams provided games and relay races for the kids. The girls soccer team practiced shooting drills, the football team taught passes and the track team demonstrated hurtling. The Colgate cheerleaders came out to teach chants and to add some pep to the event.

“It was really nice to enjoy the warm weather with some friends and bring the Colgate community closer to the larger Hamilton community,” first-year and member of BDS Josh Goldstein said.

The event was a means for the Colgate student body to show its appreciation for being a part of the Hamilton community. Residents were able to put names with faces they see on the streets.

First-year Julia Smaldone and her sidekick, Fiona, 7, came to enjoy the festivities. 

“It was great to see the Colgate community and the town of Hamilton come together for a sunny afternoon that epitomizes their collaboration,” Smaldone said.