The Opening Act: Goo Goo Dolls Deliver a Relaxed Start to SPW

For many students, Spring Party Weekend was well under way by the time the Goo Goo Dolls stormed into the Sanford Field House at 7 p.m. this past Friday. However, whether the band was your first event of the infamous weekend or if you had started celebrating two days prior, the Goo Goo Dolls were definitely received much better than many students expected.

With a stream of rock music blasting through the Field House, students were having a blast as they danced, talked, jumped on each other’s shoulders and even tried to crowd surf. While the area around the stage was filled to the brim with dancing students there was plenty of room by the back for crowds to dance in their own small circles or even relax and sit on the ground.

While most of the people were having a great time, some appeared to be a bit confused on how to dance to this particular type of music. Jumping up and down and yelling was not exactly the best way to dance to the Goo Goo Dolls, and several people did not seem to understand that at the beginning of the concert. Yet it did not take long for everyone to figure out what to do and how to have a blast on their own.

Many students also enjoyed the Goo Goo Dolls in anticipation of attending the SPW Palooza the following day. With an exciting concert filled with DJs, loud music and a light show, people appeared to enjoy the opportunity to attend a more relaxed and less chaotic concert as a sort of preview. There were definitely more chances to just hang out and meet new people during the concert, without having to scream just so that the person next to you could understand your words.

The Goo Goo Dolls played a variety of their own music, most of which was newer work of theirs. Although there were some songs that people claimed sounded familiar, there was one song that everyone was waiting for: “Iris.” It was great listening to people chant “Iris” throughout the whole concert, waiting for the Goo Goo Dolls to play the one song that they all actually knew. People generally waited around until the end of the concert to hear the song, and cheered loudly at the end of their performance.

Overall, the Goo Goo Dolls were an unexpectedly good kick-off for the usual rowdiness of Spring Party Weekend. They played great music and kept the packed crowds entertained during their entire set. By the end of the concert everyone applauded furiously and cheered at the top of their lungs, excited to attend various other events for the continuation of Spring Party Weekend.