Both Tennis Teams Pick Up First PL Wins

The Colgate men and women’s tennis teams suffered tough losses earlier last week, but they certainly ended the week on a high note by defeating the Lehigh Mountain Hawks, giving both teams’ their first Patriot League win of the season.

On Wednesday, March 26. the women traveled an hour north to face upstate rival Syracuse University. The Orange proved to be too strong, as they swept the Raiders, 7-0. However, there were some impressive performances by Colgate, including the sophomore duo of Elise DeRose and Samantha Inacker’s 8-1 romp of Simone Kalhorn and Jacquelyn Tang at first doubles. Unfortunately, Colgate endured losses at second and third doubles and were unable to get the doubles point in this contest. First-year Stephanie Bender also played well, but lost a heartbreaker at sixth singles, falling 13-11 in a super breaker after splitting sets with Tang.

On Sunday, the women opened their Patriot League season with a bang, as they cruised to a 6-1 victory against Lehigh. The Raiders quickly showed Lehigh they were there to take care of business by dominating the doubles. At first doubles, DeRose and Inacker continued to play solidly, as they defeated Lehigh’s Allie Schwartz and Ruthie Furman, 8-4. The second doubles team of sophomore Cameron Williams and first-year Stephanie Bender, and the third doubles tandem of junior Erin Fenn and sophomore Jackie Stimmel both crushed their opponents, 8-2.

In singles action, the Raiders continued to take care of business, winning five of the six singles matches. DeRose and first-year Isabel Reimer used their strong baseline games to wear down their opponents at first and third singles, respectively, both winning in straight sets. Samantha Inacker frustrated Ariela Cohen at second singles with her monstrous serves and tenacious ability to run down any shot the lefty threw at her, as she bested the Lehigh junior, 6-2, 6-4. Fenn also played well, beating Ruthie Furman at fifth singles in straight sets with matching 6-3 scores. Stimmel once again provided the drama, as she won her sixth singles match by defeating Victoria Vityuk, 6-3, 4-6, 11-9.

On Saturday, the men faced current Patriot League champion Navy at Eastside Racquet Club outside Syracuse. Unfortunately, the Midshipmen outplayed the Raiders, prevailing 6-1.

Navy won all three doubles matches, but faced tough challenges at first and third doubles. Junior Martin MacIntyre and senior Tyler Deck fell 8-6 to Nate Nelms and Johnny Waters at first doubles. The first-year duo of Phil Bernasek and Ruslan Goussiantnikov also played well, but lost their third doubles match, 8-6. Martin MacIntyre, who was named the Patriot League Player of the Month yesterday, provided Colgate’s lone singles victory, as he beat last year’s Patriot League Player of the Year, Nate Nelms, 6-3, 6-4.

The Raiders fared much better against Lehigh on Sunday, pulling out a 4-3 victory. The momentum was on Colgate’s side from the very beginning, as they swept the doubles matches. The highlight in the doubles play came from the sophomore pair of John Nogueras and Michael Yassky at second doubles, who dominated John Balcar and Brent Herbert, 8-1.

The men picked up singles wins from the first, third, and fifth spots, giving the Raiders a one-point victory. At first singles, Martin MacIntyre continued to roll, winning his fifth straight match by beating John Nespoli, 7-6, 6-3. Tyler Deck also won in straight sets, defeating John Balcar, 6-4, 6-4. Providing the crucial fourth point for the Raiders was Michael Yassky, who used his consistent baseline game to best Chris Collins, 6-3, 6-3.

Both teams will host Patriot League foe Bucknell University on Saturday and Fairfield University on Sunday.