Rowing Teams Rule in Western New York

Last Saturday the men’s rowing team traveled to the Seneca Cayuga Canal in Geneva, New York, to take part in the Seneca Cup against Hobart College. The men continued their winning ways in this event on Saturday, as they beat Hobart in the Varsity Eight Final to win the Seneca Cup for the fourth straight season. The Varsity Eight team, manned by senior Peter Engebretson, senior Andrew Hatzenbuhler, senior Bryan Pape, sophomore Mark Robson, senior Doug Herling, junior Matt Rogowski, junior Kurt Miller and senior Austin Sigety, finished with a time of 6:15.12, more than four and a half seconds ahead of Hobart’s time of 6:19.78. The men also rowed to victory in the Second Varsity Eight event, as they beat Hobart by over five seconds. In the Varsity Four race, Colgate ran two boats and pulled off a one-two finish with their ‘A’ boat finishing first and their ‘B’ boat finishing a second ahead of the third-place Statesmen. In the Second Varsity Four event, the Raiders once again ran two boats and placed first and second in front of Hobart. Unfortunately, the Colgate men finished second in the Novice Eight, making that the only event of the day in which Colgate did not come in first. The men will now head to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, for the Dad Vail Regatta on Friday, May 9th.

The women’s rowing team was also active over the weekend, as they traveled to Buffalo, New York, to compete in the Harvey Cup with UConn, Eastern Michigan and Buffalo. Races were run in a double-dual meet format. The Colgate Varsity Eight and Novice Four+ boats faced UConn in dual meets, while Eastern Michigan and Buffalo faced each other in the same races. The winners of these races than faced each other in a gold-medal race, while the losers raced each other in consolation contests.

The women started off the Harvey Cup by finishing with a time of 6:45.91, more than 12 seconds behind UConn. The Raiders than faced off against Eastern Michigan in the Varsity Eight consolation final and finished ahead of that school with a final time of 6:46.89. The boat was comprised of junior Meredith Remmer, senior Ande Reisman, sophomore Lauren Schmetterling, sophomore Vicky Hulit, first-year Annabelle Glass, junior Sarah Kruse, sophomore Laura Crawford and senior Yasmin Rozwadowski. In the Novice Four+ event, the women crushed UConn with a final time of 7:58.71, more than 30 seconds ahead of the Huskies. In the Novice Four+ final, the Raiders finished over 12 seconds behind Buffalo to finish in second place. First-years Zora McGinnis (cox), Natalie Hanigan (cox), Sarah Burczak, Kalin Hennegan, Elspeth Monigle and Symone Jackson comprised the people in that boat.

“It was definitely a good weekend,” first-year rower Evelyn Koh said. “It wasn’t easy, but we had fun. Hopefully we’ll do a little better next time.”

The women’s next event is on Sunday, when they’ll head to Camden, New Jersey, for the Patriot League finals.