Lunches Packed with Care and Flair:

Dulcet tones and melodic notes radiated through the Chapel as some of Colgate’s finest musicians performed in the first Luncheon Musicale of the semester on Tuesday, March 11. The musicale was a perfect escape for students during the busy week before break, providing soothing harmonious tunes to calm nerves.

The music performed was primarily classical, and the mediums of performance were vocal, piano and organ. While the pieces came from the classical genre, there was still variation within the selection as some arrangements came from opera and were in different languages.

Attendance at the luncheon was strong with many students, faculty and other members of the community present in the audience.

Singer and sophomore Katherine Byrns enthusiastically described the audience from the musicale.

“The turnout was great. A lot of people came to support their friends, and basically everyone who works in the music department came,” Byrns said.

Roberta Healey organized the musicale and described the event as a Colgate tradition that has been a campus presence for the past 15 years. She also explained the tremendous value the musicale held for musical performers at Colgate.

“[It gives] students the chance to perform just one or two pieces in a low-stress environment,” Healey said.

Musicians at the luncheon elaborated on the benefit that the concert’s relaxed and informal atmosphere afforded.

First-year singer Valerie Boyd, who performed in a musicale for the first time, really valued her experience.

“[It’s] a great opportunity for musicians on campus to perform without the anxiety of giving a whole recital,” Boyd said.

Singer and first-year Emily Shaw echoed Valerie’s opinions, as she described the casual ambience of the concert and its value for performers.

“This was my first time singing in a luncheon musicale, and although it was a bit nerve-wracking, it was a great experience,” she said.

The musicale’s airy tone provided a channel for fostering the performing arts at Colgate, accommodating an atmosphere that let musicians hone their performances.

Shaw reiterated the musicale’s merit.

“It’s really nice for us to have a chance to improve our performing skills in front of a decent sized audience who is there out of appreciation and support,” Shaw explained.

Shaw’s fellow performers affirmed her point on the benefit of playing for an audience. Byrns spoke of the benefits of the musicale.

“Students who take voice or instrument lessons do not have much of a chance to show off what they have learned on an individual basis,” Byrns said. “[For this reason,] these musicales are a great opportunity.”

While the musicale afforded a valuable occasion for musicians, the luncheon also promoted arts, in a broader scope, for the entire campus. Members of the community were treated to a less popular, though equally pleasing, genre of music.

Musician Shaw added her insight on this point.

“Many of my friends don’t have much exposure to classical music on a daily basis, so in that sense the musicales definitely promote the arts,” Shaw said.

The campus also benefits from the concerts, as they provide a rare opportunity for students to listen to live classical music. Overall, the Luncheon Musicale accomplished much in promoting the performing arts at Colgate, allowing the musicians to hone their performance skills and audience members to enjoy a harmonious rhapsody of mesmeric music.