Scoring Drought Continues for Men’s Hockey



Looking to build upon their 3-3-0 start, the Colgate Raiders took the home ice last week against ECAC rivals Quinnipiac and No. 18 Princeton to start their conference schedule in front of a number of Colgate hockey legends in town for Silver Puck Reunion. Although the Raiders tied the pesky Quinnipiac Bobcats, 1-1 last Friday, they were unable to stop the visiting Princeton Tigers the following afternoon, losing by a 2-0 score.

The first period of the Quinnipiac game was marked by a flurry of action, including a breakaway chance for Colgate junior forward Tom Riley just four minutes into the game. However, Bobcat goaltender Peter Vetri stoned Riley’s attempt. The Raiders had two power plays, outshot the Bobcats 13-8 and had two shots bang off the posts, but they were not able to score in the first period. Quinnipiac and Colgate entered the first intermission tied at zero.

The second period started off very slowly, and neither team was able to keep control of the puck for more than a few moments. But that changed after Quinnipiac forward Isak Tranvik won a face-off and sent the puck to linemate Mike Atkinson, who skated down the length of the ice and slipped the puck through Colgate senior goalie Mark Dekanich’s five-hole at 7:53. Quinnipiac entered the second intermission up, 1-0.

The third period started out much differently than the first two, as the Raiders came out firing on all cylinders. After Vetri turned away a few scoring chances, Riley skated down the home side of the ice unimpeded and snapped one by the Bobcat goalie at 2:06. The rest of the period was marked by back-and-forth action and a terrific penalty kill by the Raiders, who had to fight off a questionable five minute roughing penalty on first-year forward Brian Day. Colgate’s only true scoring opportunity occurred when Colgate senior forward Tyler Burton took a great shot from the slot that was gloved by Vetri. In the overtime session, the two defenses dominated play, as only five shots were taken and neither team was able to get off a good scoring chance.

In the second game, Princeton jumped out to an early lead when forward Mark Magnowski picked up defenseman Taylor Fedun’s rebound behind the net and slipped the puck by Dekanich at 8:48. The Raiders came close on several shots in the period, but the Tigers hit the twine again at 18:08. The play began when forward Brett Wilson passed the puck to linemate Lee Jubinville behind the Raiders net. Jubinville, then sent a pass in frontto forward Cam MacIntyre, who shot the puck over Dekanich’s left shoulder for his fifth goal in three games. The second period was full of back and forth hockey, but the score remained unchanged at 2-0. Colgate controlled the third period for the most part. The Raiders had their best chance when first-year defenseman Wade Poplawski took a shot from the point that clanged off of the crossbar. Initially, the shot was ruled a goal by the goal judge, but referee Chip McDonald waived it off. Despite outshooting the Tigers, 12-5 in the third period and 25-21 overall, the Raiders were unable to get the puck past sophomore goalie Zane Kalemba, who recorded his first career shutout in the 2-0 win.

The Raiders will try for their first league win of the year next weekend when they visit Brown and Yale. Colgate’s game against the Bears will take place at 7 p.m. on Friday, and its nationally televised game against Yale will take place on Sunday at 4 p.m., which can be seen on ESPNU.