Remembering, Mourning, Healing

Remembering, Mourning, Healing

University Chaplain and Catholic Campus Minister Mark Shiner climbed to the top of the tower of Memorial Chapel Tuesday morning with a university custodian. He rang the Chapel bells for one minute at 8:46 and again at 9:02, to mark the times on September 11, 2001 when planes struck the World Trade Center (WTC) towers.

At noon, on the Chapel steps, the community came together to honor the members of the Colgate family who died in the attacks. Professor of Political Science Robert Kraynak organized the memorial service, where he spoke and Shiner and Associate University Chaplain and Director of Jewish Life Rabbi Dave Levy offered prayers.

Around 50 students and faculty bowed their heads as they listed to the Chapel’s bells ring 17 times at the beginning of the service, one time for each of the relatives of Colgate alumni. The alumni who perished on September 11 were the topic of Kraynak’s speech.

Nestor A. Cintron III ’96, who loved to read, Todd Pelino ’89, who was in Sigma Chi and played for the soccer team, Aaron Jacobs ’96, who played football and was in Delta Upsilon and Scott Colman ’94, an economics major worked at Cantor Fitzgerald in the WTC. Edward Porter Felt ’81 worked for BEA Systems and died aboard the plane that crashed in western Pennsylvania. Sharon Balkcom ’80 was a

political science major who worked at Marsh & McLennan in the WTC. David Retik ’90, also a Sigma Chi and member of the soccer team, was aboard the American Airlines Flight that slammed into the WTC.

“It is difficult to find the appropriate observation six years later and avoid being clich?e,” Kraynak said, “But I do feel that it is important for the Colgate community to remember the alumni who perished. It would be a great tribute to those alumni we lost for a statue to be erected with their names on it.”

From 10:15 a.m. to 1:15 p.m. he Colgate College Republicans read the names of all of the nearly 3,000 victims.

“I feel that the people who died deserved to be remembered,” first-year Stephanie Zanowic said, who helped to the read the names.

Some of the other readers felt that more should have been done during the day.

“The reaction, or lack thereof, from the people who walk by, is a reflection of the campus’ apathy,” first-year Henrick Temp said.

Both morning events received relatively small turnouts, but the Interfaith Committee’s “Date with Faith” was very well attended.

“[The date of the event] was a pure coincidence,” senior Kashif Ahmed, organizer and member of the Muslim Student Association, said. “However, it is fitting because 9/11 fractured many communities and this event is about bringing different groups together.”

“If we have a world where people can mingle together like this, then we can have a world where there is peace,” Levy said.