In the Light – Jeremy Lipstein

When Jeremy Lipstein visited Colgate on a summer day five years ago, he thought it was the most beautiful campus he’d ever seen.

“I came to Colgate because it appeared to be a small, tightly knit community with a work-hard, play-hard climate,” Lipstein, a Scotch Plains, NJ native, said. “After four years here, I’d say my initial evaluations were spot on.”

Lipstein certainly made the most of his time at Colgate as an active member of the tightly knit student body. He has played club baseball and has been a member of the fraternity Theta Chi for three years. In his sophomore year, Lipstein was elected as a Dorm Senator for Drake Hall and in his junior year, he served as Theta Chi’s representative to the Inter-Fraternity Council.

Encouraged by his success in these positions of leadership, he decided to run for President of the Colgate Student Government Association with Drew Morrison as his running mate. Lipstein said his proudest accomplishment as President was passing the new constitution.

“It was a long time coming, and a lot of people had worked really hard to put it together,” Lipstein said. “It was rewarding to see it finally come to fruition.”

Lipstein cited a 2003 semi-final football game as his favorite Colgate memory ever.

“We won with only a few seconds left, and then crowd stormed the field, ripped out the goal post, and threw it in Taylor Lake,” Lipstein recalled.

In May, Lipstein will graduate with a degree in Economics. Though he originally planned on majoring in Political Science, he became very interested in the first Economics class he took.

“I chose economics because I think it does a good job at explaining how the world works,” Lipstein said. “I was really interested the underlying philosophical theories on human behavior and choice.”

Last year, Lipstein went to London as part of the Economics Study Group, which he called “one of the most amazing experiences of my life.”

After graduation, Lipstein will head to New York City to work at Duetsche Bank. He hopes to work for two or three years before applying to business school.

As he reflects on his four years at Colgate, Lipstein has some advice for first year students: “Get involved with whatever interests you, as soon as you can.”

“Even though we’re in a ‘Colgate bubble,’ I’ve learned a lot about how the world works,” Lipstein said.”I’ve grown up a lot since I’ve been here.”