In the Light: Carrie DeWitt

Carrie DeWitt, a double concentrator in Anthropology and Sociology and Women’s Studies, is also active in many aspects of life at Colgate. Passionate about her work and her studies, DeWitt’s experiences range from Greek life to involvement in various volunteer projects.

Prominent on campus, DeWitt holds the presidency of the Delta Delta Delta sorority (Tri Delt). Tri Delt organizes a number of different philanthropic events every year. This semester alone, the sorority has hosted a pancake breakfast and a kickball tournament in conjunction with other Greek chapters, as well as sponsoring a bookstore program for children in Hamilton on Saturday mornings.

She participated in Colgate’s study abroad and extended study programs, spending fall semester of last year in San Francisco with the Anthropology and Sociology study group, where she worked at a homeless shelter and tutored children.

“I think I grew up a lot while I was there…It could be really frustrating, but also extremely rewarding,” DeWitt said.

She has also traveled on two extended learning programs, studying how Danish women differ from American women in terms of work and family while in Denmark and volunteering at pueblos on a trip to Santa Fe.

Beyond her academic pursuits, DeWitt is on the executive board for Up Till Dawn and helped organize the letter writing campaign for St. Jude Children’s Hospital that took place last Tuesday.

DeWitt was awarded a Mandy Fellowship last summer, an award funded by Colgate alumnus Jim Mandy to support thirteen students intern at non-profit organizations in the Boston area. DeWitt spent her summer working at Shelter Inc, a women’s drop-in program.

“It really showed me that everyone should take the time out to find out what they really love to do and pursue it,” said DeWitt. “It helped me focus on what I care about in life and what I want to do….I want to work with the homeless community.”

After graduation, she hopes to return to San Francisco to work. Though she will miss college life, DeWitt has thoroughly enjoyed her time at Colgate.

“You kind of fall into things at Colgate,” DeWitt said. “Take advantage of everything. It’s important to try new things and travel. People need to realize how lucky they are do something really worthwhile with that…Sometimes I think people get caught up in the perfection of things…you can’t be afraid to fail.”