Football Deals Out a 43-Point Bashing in the Bronx

To say the game was lopsided really doesn’t capture the whole scene. Blowout is the only word that can describe Colgate’s 43-point win at Fordham on Saturday. The Raiders jumped out to a 20-0 lead after the first quarter and never looked back, winning by a final score of 46-3.

Colgate opened up the scoring early in the first quarter with a 65-yard pass from senior quarterback Mike Saraceno to senior wide receiver Kenny Parker. Sophomore Jordan Scott was the next Raider to put up six when he scored on a two-yard run. Before the quarter was out, however, Saraceno, who had already beaten the Rams with his arm, beat them with his feet as well, converting on an eight-yard touchdown run to make the score 20-0.

In the second quarter the Raiders also found success in their much maligned kicking game when junior Mike Buck connected on a 29-yard field goal. Before the end of the half Fordham drove down to within Colgate’s five yard line, but the defense held firm, holding the Rams to a field goal. The Raiders ended the half with a comfortable 23-3 lead, but they were by no means done yet.

In the third quarter the only scoring was a 32-yard Buck field goal, but in the final quarter the Raiders had their second 20-point quarter of the game. Early in the fourth Saraceno connected for his second passing touchdown of the day, this time to sophomore David Morgan.

Midway through the fourth quarter, Jordan Scott left the game after amassing a whopping 175 yards and a score as well, giving him 2,111 yards for his career. According to Head Coach Dick Biddle, the offensive line was the key to Scott’s success.

“We’re getting healthy on the offensive line,” Head Coach Dick Biddle said. “We have some freshmen playing on the line and the offensive line takes time to gel. Offensive lineman isn’t a position where you can get by on your athleticism, you have to learn it. Obviously Jordan Scott ran hard as well.”

Scott’s replacement, junior J.J. Bennett, also had a sterling performance in limited action, adding two touchdowns of his own.

“I think we decided we were going to play with effort and urgency,” Biddle said of the teams success. “Our defense got us the ball and we didn’t turn the ball over.”

The offense ended the day just shy of 500 total yards, and was six for six in red zone opportunities. Biddle explained his team’s red zone success by citing its consistency.

“We got yardage on first downs and we protected the ball,” he said. “We had been shaky in the kicking game before, but against Fordham we kicked and converted.”

Saraceno, who passed for over 200 yards and scored three total touchdowns, was quick to spread credit for the victory. “Everybody came together and played hard in every phase of the game: offense, defense, and special teams,” he said.

Certainly the performance of the Colgate defense cannot be overlooked. The defense held Fordham to a measly 162 total yards and forced three turnovers. Seniors Nate Johnson and Geoff Bean, sophomore Sam Breslin and junior Mike Gallihugh led the way with five tackles apiece.

With this win behind them the Raiders remain undefeated in Patriot League play with a 2-0 mark. They return home this Saturday to play Lafayette.