COVE Update: Activism Week

College is a hectic period of our lives. Each week, we have to wrestle with papers, presentations, lectures and hundreds of pages of reading, leaving little time to pursue issues that concern us.

In our idealistic Colgate nearly spherical body of gas contained in a liquid, it is easy to ignore or fail to recognize social or political issues that could affect our daily lives. It is therefore important that we, as the future leaders of America, take steps to determine what that future will be like.

The issues that are being fought over in the political sphere-the war in Iraq, abortion rights, the genocide in Darfur, renewable sources of energy and healthcare-may not have a profound impact on the lives of current politicians, but they certainly will impact our lives as we establish ourselves in the work force.

Many Colgate students participate in organizations that address these matters. For example, this past Sunday, a group of students boarded a bus to New York City for a rally protesting the genocide in Darfur [see page A-1]. However, as la cr??me de la cr??me of America’s collegiate body, it is our obligation to do more.

Luckily for all of you wondering how to harness your inner activists, September 20 through September 29 is Student Activism Week. The goal of this week and a half-long event is to enlighten Colgate students about issues that concern us.

The week kicked off on Wednesday, September 20 with “Student Activism: Then and Now,” which examined the drop-off in student activism since the sixties.

While the week’s itinerary addresses only a handful of subjects, it does not mean participants in Student Activism Week have to stop their pursuits after September 29.

The Summit for Action, set to take place later in the semester, will work to provide Colgate students with a constant outlet for activism by creating ties among all activist groups on campus. This will include Students for Social Justice, the Progressive Students Network, Democracy Matters, the COVE groups and more.

While the groups will remain separate entities, the Summit for Action will provide a plan to unite these groups on large-scale activist projects and demonstrations. More information on the Summit for Action, and how you can get involved, will be coming soon.

For more information, contact the groups sponsoring the events.

This week will serve as a stepping-stone towards bigger and better activist endeavors and that no issue is too small. Student Activism Week is a mere nine days long, but students can be activists every day of the year.

The schedule for next week is as follows:

Monday, September 25

4:30 p.m. – Location TBAPanel discussion on Immigrant Reform in the U.S.Sponsored by Amnesty InternationalFeaturing Ellen Kraly & Nicole SimpsonPetitions will be signed afterward!

Tuesday, September 26

11:30 a.m. – COOP TV Room Lunchtime discussion of the Israel-Palestine ConflictSponsored by College Democrats, Colgate Jewish Union, Muslim Students Association, & the Middle Eastern Studies DepartmentFeaturing Avraham Sela, Daniel Monk, Bruce Rutherford, and others TBA.Questions welcome!

Wednesday, September 27

12:15 – Chapel StepsPeaceful Demonstration in support of Campaign to Rename Cutten Complex4:30 – COOP TV Room Student-led Panel Discussion for Campaign to Rename Cutten ComplexSponsored by Students for Social Justice

Thursday, September 28

12:15 p.m. – Women’s Studies CenterPresentation on the “Forgotten Mommies”A panel of women will discuss the prejudice that they encountered in their careers as working mothers. Sponsored by the COVELunch Provided!

Friday, September 29

12:30 p.m. – Women’s Studies CenterDiscussion about campus pollingModerated by Morgan MariettaSponsored by Democracy MattersPizza provided!