Colgate’s Fashion Faux Pas

Do you ever walk around campus and ask yourself why? Why does he think that looks good? It has been a long year and no one can look great every day, but Colgate students have committed some serious fashion faux pas during the past two semesters and there’s no sense in repeating them next year.

Our first faux pas is the extremely underdressed student. Sweat-outfits and pajamas to class? Not OK. How do you think your professor feels when you walk into his class wearing a hoodie, slippers and flannel teddy bear-print PJ pants? Yes, I know these pants are really comfortable, but do you know why they’re so comfortable? It’s because they’re meant to be slept in, not worn in public. Please, if you don’t have enough energy to put real clothes on, just stay in bed.

The next small step up from PJs is the sweat-outfit. It’s great if you’re a proud athlete or want to support our school by wearing Colgate paraphernalia, but you don’t need COLGATE LAX printed on both your leg and chest. Sweatpants alone are bad enough, but at least have the decency to wear them with a polo or an oxford. When I say sweatpants, I’m not talking about Hardtails, rollover lounge pants or velour or terry drawstring pants. I mean baggy, sloppy, cotton, elastic waist sweatpants. When you wear these loose, lazy pants and are swimming in an oversized sweatshirt, you look like you just don’t care. When interviewed on the subject, suave sophomore Chris Jospe said, “I hate when people wear sweatpants to class. I’d rather see someone in the outfit they wore out last night.” How are you supposed to be a focused student when you’re wearing something that screams “I’ve given up on life?”

What’s worse is when girls wear full makeup with their sweats. Clearly, you had the energy to get up and paint your face, so why couldn’t you have skipped the eyeliner and used those two minutes to throw on some jeans with your hoody? You have to make a decision; either get fully dressed and made-up for class or don’t. The half and half look is just confusing.

Our next faux pas is the pitifully preppy student. First, the double popped collar. Single popped is fine, as it gives just a smidge of obnoxious snootiness, but why would you do two? We see you’re wearing a polo. It’s popped. It’s preppy. You don’t need to emphasize this with an extra collar. If you feel the need to continue to commit this faux pas, at least have the decency to avoid matching the base polo with the color of the monogram on the top polo.

Vera Bradley is a master prep-offender. In truth, it still hasn’t been determined exactly why Vera’s grandma-esque bags are thought to be country club chic. They’re folded patchwork quilts with shoulder straps and they’ll definitely clash with your Lilly Pulitzer flower-print skirt. There’s a whole world of unique and practical bags out there: why settle for something your Great Aunt Susie would wear?

It appears that there is some climate confusion in students’ wardrobes. If you need to wear a Northface fleece, it’s probably too cold to be wearing those madras shorts or that micro mini jean skirt. You can’t have winter on top and spring on the bottom. On the same note, wearing flip flops in December is not a practical decision. I’m sure you have enough time in the morning to slide on a pair of Uggs or other weather-appropriate footwear that will prevent frostbite. No one wants to stare at your purple toes during class.

It’s always great to make a statement with your shoes and accessories, so long as that statement isn’t “I have absolutely no fashion sense.” Unless you’re playing tennis or participating in another sport that makes you perspire, you shouldn’t be wearing a sweatband. Additionally, sweatbands and headbands are not the same thing. One absorbs sweat, while the other is simply a hair accessory. Wearing a terrycloth band around your head doesn’t make you look athletic; it makes you look like you’re about to star in Olivia Newton John’s Let’s Get Physical video.

Another unacceptable accessory is the Colgate lanyard. Just because you can put something around your neck doesn’t mean it should be worn as a necklace. And do you really want to put your ‘Gate Card picture on display in the middle of your chest?

Next, let’s talk about those multi-colored rubber bracelets. Personally, I’m an adamant supporter of the Live Strong campaign and for finding a cure for breast cancer, but that aquamarine bracelet you bought at the gas station to help the Save the Puppies of Iraq Foundation is a fraud. These bracelets aren’t cute, and most of them aren’t even distributed by real charities, so why do people feel the need to stack them up their entire forearm?

The last faux pas we will be discussing is the color orange. It’s a nice color for a fall sweater or a spring shirt, just not for your skin. Nevertheless, countless pumpkin colored girls walk around Colgate’s campus everyday, unaware that they’re half human, half squash. Fake-baking is fine if you want to occasionally renew your color, but it shouldn’t be a five-times-a-week ritual. You’re not fooling anyone. There’s no sun in Hamilton, NY so everyone knows your tan is fake and no one thinks it looks good.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying Colgate can’t dress. This is a particularly stylish campus. Ralph Lauren and J.Crew would be proud; however, Colgate’s faux pas are numerous and fairly unattractive. If you want to avoid the fashion police next fall, keep style on your mind this summer and don’t be a repeat offender!