Athlete Profile: Danny Green

After a excellent high school career at Poly Prep high school, senior Daniel Green wouldn’t have been surprised to picture himself celebrating a national championship after four years of college. And that’s exactly what Green was doing during the second week of April; however, the title belonged to the Florida Gators, as Green was in Gainesville with cousin Taurean and one-time Poly Prep teammate Joakim Noah, members of this year’s national champions.

In four years at Colgate, success and acclaim have been harder to come by. After Green’s stellar high school career, the Brooklyn native found himself playing limited minutes at Colgate. His contributions for the Raiders, however, outweighed the gaudy statistics that he compiled before coming to Hamilton. Green provided invaluable help by running the point for the scout team in practices, and his defensive presence provided good simulation of other defenses that opposing teams would throw at the Raiders.

It was in this role that Green experienced some of the most memorable Colgate basketball moments. His favorite was the late-season run the team made during his sophomore campaign.

“We had a great run near the end of the season, finishing third in the Patriot League,” Green said. “We went to the second round and lost to American. ESPN.com had us on their top-25 mid-major rankings.”

Green also counts Colgate’s 2004 trip to Florida Atlantic among his greatest Colgate moments. The Owls were coached by Sidney Green, a former UNLV player and also Danny’s uncle. “That was a big game for me and my family,” Green said.

In leaving the Chenango Valley behind, Green sees himself changed by his Colgate experience. Some of his best experiences here were brought about during his darkest hour. Midway through Green’s freshman year, he found head coach Emmett Davis at his dorm room in the middle of the night. Green’s mother, Gloria, had passed away. “He was there at two in the morning to console me,” Green said.

It was during this sad period that Green discovered the kinder side of his new home.

“My teammates were there for me – coach [Kevin] Curley drove me to the airport, coach Davis flew down to my mom’s funeral the day before the Harvard game. If it wasn’t for [the coaching staff] and my teammates’ support, I don’t think I would have made it through my time here.”

In addition to the support of the coaching staff, perhaps the most important thing Green is taking away from Colgate is “the camaraderie I’ve built over the past four years,” he said. “Many of my best friends here are people I met through basketball – people who will be friends for the rest of my life. [Former Colgate and Poly Prep teammate] Keith Williams ’05 is like a brother to me; he calls every week to see how the team is doing, how everybody is doing. We exemplify Colgate pride.”

Green feels he has gained a great deal from his Colgate experience. He wanted to thank the entire coaching staff, teammates, friends and family that have helped him along the way.

The sociology and education double major will spend the summer working as an intern at Bill Duffy & Associates, a sports agency that represents, among others, Denver’s Carmelo Anthony. Green looks forward to the new job.

“I’ll be doing lots emailing and phone calls, developing relationships with clients,” he said. “I’ll also be studying for my LSATs.”

Appropriately, with only three weeks left until he crosses the stage to receive his diploma, Green admits that he has “developed a love for Colgate.” With all those attributes, that feeling Danny Green experienced in Gainesville should pale in comparison to the future successes that await him.