Our Crisis, Our Duty

Last week the Colgate chapter of the Student Global AIDS Campaign (SGAC) hosted AIDS Action Week in an effort to raise money for the Blantyre North Relief Project, an organization run by Colgate Professor of Philosophy and Religion Harvey J. Sindima, which assists AIDS orphans in Malawi. The College Democrats, College Republicans, African Student Union, Sisters of the Round Table and Economics and Peace Studies Departments joined SGAC in sponsoring a number of events throughout the week. “[AIDS] truly is the crisis of our generation,” sophomore AIDS Action Week organizer Matt Inbusch said, “We see it as one of the most important and pressing issues in the world today.”Sophomore co-organizer Kara Cooperrider reiterated this sentiment. “For me, AIDS brings together all of the social justice crises that plague our society,” she said. “It has undertones of poverty, discrimination, inequality and hunger.”SGAC planned a variety of fundraisers and activities to attract students – and dollars – to their cause. In one fundraiser, students paid $1 to compete for a t-shirt in an apple juice chugging contest. The SGAC also sold t-shirts and tickets to a benefit banquet. These small fundraisers were very popular, although they did not raise much money.”The fundraisers were aimed towards to creating awareness and interest about the rest of our events,” Cooperrider said.Other events included a lecture by Sindima, titled “My Duty: The Blantyre North Relief Project,” a brown bag lunch on the economic impact of AIDS, a screening of the Zulu film “Yesterday” and two lectures on AIDS prevention programs delivered by Vice President of Public Affairs for Planned Parenthood of Connecticut Susan Yolen. The week culminated with a benefit banquet sponsored by the Broad Street Community Council last Thursday evening at Beta Theta Pi. Around 175 people attended and close to $3,000 was raised towards the Blantyre Relief Project. The guest speaker for the banquet was Karl B. Stewart ’91, an HIV-positive Colgate alumnus. Stewart discussed the situation in Africa where 17 million people have AIDS, in comparison with the U.S., where the number is closer to 900,000. Although the AIDS problem can seem daunting, many students felt that their actions did mean something and were proud of what was accomplished during the week.”HIV/AIDS is a problem of unparalleled proportions whichcontinued on page A-4continued from page A-1affects millions and millions of people around the world,” Inbusch said. “If those of us with the desire and the means to make a difference choose not to, who will act in our place? No one.”For Cooperrider, the week was a success.”I think the Colgate community responded really well [to AIDS Action Week],” Cooperrider said. “We got a lot of people involved who otherwise wouldn’t have participated or been interested. It was really great to see so many students supporting us.”continued from page A-1affects millions and millions of people around the world,” Inbusch said. “If those of us with the desire and the means to make a difference choose not to, who will act in our place? No one.”For Cooperrider, the week was an unqualified success.”I think the Colgate community responded really well [to AIDS Action Week],” Cooperrider said. “We got a lot of people involved who otherwise wouldn’t have participated or been interested. It was really great to see so many students supporting us.”