Athlete Profile: Sean O’Sullivan

From the moment senior Sean O’Sullivan set foot on the Colgate campus in 2002, there is no doubt how great of an impact he has on the Colgate men’s soccer program and the Colgate community.

After a stellar high school career, O’Sullivan had many schools recruiting him, but he decided upon Colgate.

“I was recruited by a lot of great soccer programs, but I really liked the balance of education and athletics at Colgate,” he said. “From the moment I got here, I knew that Colgate was a perfect fit for me and the experience was just amazing.”

O’Sullivan was a four-year starter at Colgate and has been a stalwart in the midfield. O’Sullivan was the team’s sole captain last season, and he definitely proved himself to be a successful leader.

During his four years, O’Sullivan tallied 28 points, with seven goals and 14 assists. As a first-year, O’Sullivan started 14 games and had the most assists ever by a Raider first-year. He also set the school record for assists and earned all-Patriot League second-team honors during his junior year.

O’Sullivan’s senior year got off to a rocky start with an injury. While he was injured, there was no doubt talking to players and head coach Erik Ronning how badly the team wanted the senior back on the field.

After coming back from injury, O’Sullivan played excellently and helped the team qualify for the Patriot League Tournament with a huge 1-0 victory over Navy. O’Sullivan had the game winning assist in that game, and that victory clearly holds a strong place in his memory.

“Probably my favorite moment on the soccer team was beating Navy,” he said. “We had never beaten Navy in my three previous years and to do it during my senior year was great. The win also helped us qualify for the Patriot League Tournament and I was happy that my team was able to get that far.”

It is clear that O’Sullivan has added a lot to the Colgate soccer program, but he is also an active member of the Colgate community. O’Sullivan is a political science major and is active in many on-campus activities. He does community service through COVE and Sidekicks, is a member of Sigma Chi fraternity and is also a part of the Student Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC).

O’Sullivan enjoyed his time at Colgate very much and it is obvious that being a part of the soccer team really made the experience that much better.

“Being on the soccer team has really prepared me for the real world because I have learned to manage my time better,” he said. “Not only that, but the soccer team provided me with an immediate social connection. Being on the team is like being in a fraternity – I have made some great friends over the year. Having a chance to play soccer here really made my time at Colgate that much better and I would not have changed anything from my past four years.”

While O’Sullivan looks back at his four years with fond memories, he is also looking towards his future. He is currently in the interview process and is looking for a job in finance or commercial real estate.

O’Sullivan credits Colgate with molding him into the individual that he is today, thanking all of his teachers, coaches, family and especially his past and present teammates for getting to him to where he is today. But there is no doubt that he has left a lasting impression on the soccer program, the school and his fellow classmates as well.