Athlete Profile: Katie McVeigh

The last four years, the Raider women’s lacrosse team has been one of the most successful squads at Colgate, winning two Patriot League Championships and competing in two NCAA Tournament games. One of the main catalysts to the team’s successful run has been senior Katie McVeigh, who shines both on and off of the field.

The list of accolades for McVeigh is lengthy: 2003 Patriot League Rookie of the Year and second-team all-Patriot League; 2004 first-team all-League; and 2005 Patriot League Offensive Player of the Year and first-team all-League. McVeigh will likely add to that list when the 2006 season comes to an end. But that is just the beginning as her accomplishments, which extend beyond the lacrosse field.

After graduation, McVeigh plans on coaching a seventh grade lacrosse team near her home in Basking Ridge, NJ.

“This will give me an opportunity to search for a more permanent job for the fall,” she said. “I am also hoping to have some time to travel in Europe, possibly towards the end of the summer.”

McVeigh, an English major, believes that Colgate has been successful in providing a great college atmosphere while preparing her for life beyond graduation.

“I have felt really privileged to get my education here at Colgate,” she said. “Gaining such a well-rounded education has given me confidence to go out into the real world knowing that I have a solid background. The academics here take a lot of hard work, and I will be proud to say that I graduated from Colgate.”

In addition to the heavy workload that all Colgate students are accustomed to, McVeigh had to deal with the difficulties of balancing her academic and athletic responsibilities.

“Most people don’t realize that being a Division I student-athlete runs most of your life,” McVeigh said. “Lacrosse has been by far the biggest part of my time, especially when we are in-season and traveling. I definitely learn how to take advantage of the little free time that we get here and there.”

The difficulties and increased responsibilities of being a student-athlete at Colgate have helped prepare McVeigh for life away from the field. “Being a college athlete has really helped me in a many other areas of life,” she said. “Having very little free time has taught me how to manage what I do have. I think that it has helped me to be more organized and to think ahead of time, especially when it come to my schoolwork.”

Talking about her time at Colgate, McVeigh has nothing but positive things to say.

“I have really enjoyed my Colgate experience, and I am genuinely going to miss it,” she said. “On the field, I have had some amazing experiences that I will remember forever, such as winning the Patriot League Tournament here at Colgate. I have also been fortunate enough to make some of my closest friends through lacrosse. I really have loved everything about my Colgate experience, from the friends I made to all the professors I have had. My time here will definitely be something that I will never forget.”

As one of Colgate’s most successful teams, McVeigh had memorable experiences, although one sticks out in her mind.

“Our first league Championship against American in overtime was probably my most memorable moment,” she said. “It felt like such a privilege to be part of such a great group of players. I feel very proud to have been able to be a part of such a successful team.”

As one of the great athletes, to come through Colgate, McVeigh will be greatly missed next year.