1819 Award Recognizes Colgate Spirit

On May 2, 2006, Colgate University will award The Alumni Corporation 1819 Award to “the senior whose character, scholarship, sportsmanship and service to others best exemplify the spirit that is Colgate,” according to the Student Handbook. “[It is] the most selective and prestigious award Colgate University bestows upon a graduating senior” and is one of several awards that Colgate gives to recognize excellence.

“In lots of ways [the 1819 Award] is what Colgate’s about in a broad way,” Dean of Student Affairs Jim Terhune said. “The award focuses on academic excellence, achievement at an exceptionally high level. However, we also look for the depth of involvement in the individual.”

The entire Colgate community can nominate a senior to be evaluated by a small panel of Colgate administrators. After a thorough and extensive selection process, President Rebecca Chopp ultimately decides the recipient.

Past winners have embodied the excellence of Colgate and set a high standard for future recipients.

Kelli Wong, the recipient in 2003, maintained active membership in China Club, Asian Awareness Coalition, Juggling Club, Colgate Activities Board Special Events Committee and Konosioni. She also served as president of her class for three years and was a Head Resident Advisor. Along with the 1819 Award she received Fulbright and Watson fellowships.

In 2004, Courtney Hostetler was awarded the 1819 Award. Hostetler graduated summa cum laude, earning high honors in Peace Studies, the Sterling Prize from the Peace Studies program and distinction in the Liberal Arts Core curriculum. She was a member of the Phi Beta Kappa and Phi Eta Sigma honor societies, an Alumni Memorial Scholar, a George Cobb Fellow and a Charles A. Dana Scholar. Along with her academic accomplishments, Hostetler was a member of the varsity women’s soccer team, receiving the John T. Mitchell Memorial Award for athletics. She founded Exploring Spirituality and the Sign of Language Club, two student groups on campus. She was also a member of Students for Social Justice, Konosioni and the Madison Tutoring Club.

Last year, Dave Thomas received the 1819 Award. A philosophy major with a 3.89 GPA, Thomas helped lead the Raiders hockey team to the NCAA Tournament in 2005 as co-caption. Thomas defined academic excellence while maintaining involvement in the community. He was a member of the Phi Beta Kappa honor society and also received the John T. Mitchell Memorial Award, as well as the M. Holmes Hartshorne Memorial Award for Excellence in Philosophy, and the Dr. Leo H. Speno ’26 Prize in health sciences. More importantly, Chopp noted that Thomas was respected by his peers.

Nominations are now being accepted to find the senior that will join this honored group this year.