Real World: Colgate

Colgate will be hosting the Real World program January 19-21, 2006, to assist seniors in their post-graduation plans.

Real World was created in 1996 and is a free program sponsored by Senior Class Council, the Center for Leadership and Student Invovement (CLSI), Career Services, and Alumni Affairs that includes real world issues panels, a networking reception, career field exploration panels and a reception with alumni. Around 80 Colgate alumni will return to campus to offer advice and networking opportunities for seniors.

“[Real World provides] an opportunity to speak with Colgate alumni working in career fields you are interested in everyone from ’05 grads to those in major management positions,” event collaborator Nancy Selleck ’76 said. “It’s a chance to network and make contacts and learn what is happening in the various job markets.”

The three-day event will begin on Thursday, January 19, with registration and a senior class party at Nichols & Beal. In addition to its attention to career activities, Real World also includes social events for the senior class to enjoy before the start of their last semester at Colgate. On Friday, the day will commence with a welcome luncheon and keynote address by two Colgate alums: Gloria Borger ’74, political correspondent for CBS/ US News & World Report columnist, and Lance Morgan ’72, president of Powell Tate/ Weber Shandwick.

Following the luncheon, panels will be held by alumni focusing on “real world” issues such as: “Creating Job Searching Tips & Techniques,” “I Still Don’t Know What to Do,” “Living and Working Abroad,” “Benefits & Budgets: Avoiding Common Mistakes,” “Taking the Road Less Traveled” and several others that focus on adjusting to life after Colgate. Graduate and professional schools are also discussed.

On Friday night, a networking reception with alumni will give students a chance to speak with alumni about a particular career field or ask general questions. On Saturday, Colgate alumni will host panels that deal with career paths, offering information and advice about their own career fields and allowing for questions and answers. Panels will include career fields such as sports, advertising and marketing, healthcare/medicine, law, media, finance, government/public policy, arts and entertainment and more. These panels will allow alumni to share firsthand experience with seniors and provide insight to a career path and jobs. Following these panels, a final senior class reception with alumni will be held at the Seven Oaks Clubhouse.

All seniors, from those who have a job lined up post-graduation to those who are unsure of what they want to do, are strongly encouraged to attend the Real World Program. This program presents an excellent opportunity for seniors to learn about careers in their potential field of interest, network with alumni, socialize with seniors and alums and prepare themselves for a life after Colgate.

Students who attended Real World last year had positive feedback regarding the event.

“It was great to be able to meet so many friendly alums in such a short amount of time, all ready to help us in any way they could,” Uli Riebe ’05 said. “Building and maintaining a network of colleagues is of prime importance after graduation, and I think the Real World was a successful first step for us all in starting the process.”

“Any concerns that I had or plans to work on applying for jobs were reaffirmed by their suggestions,” Charlene Chan ’05 said. “All the alums were really excited and eager to help, so I felt comfortable talking to each of them.”

Many fears and worries about getting the perfect job after college were assuaged.

“I learned a lot of small lessons,” Eric Koleda ’05 said, “but most important was that these days, your first job is not the most important thing, and there are plenty of chances to reinvent yourself and change jobs or careers. The weekend helped confirm my choice to further my education, but it also showed me that I can change my mind in the future and that won’t necessarily be a bad thing.”