MUN Brings Home the Gold

Colgate Model United Nations (MUN) members took top honors at the 2005 Oxford International Model United Nations Conference held last weekend in Oxford, England.

Despite fielding the smallest delegation at the conference, Colgate’s team won more prizes than any other school present. Sophomores Jake Lindauer and Matt Wisinieff and first-year Matt Greeson took home

Diplomacy Awards for representing

Sweden and Brazil.

“Half the team winning was quite a surprise and was quite an accomplishment for us,” Colgate Model UN President Lindauer said. “Especially since we as a school won more awards than any other school at the conference, despite only bringing six people when many schools brought 20 students or more. This conference really showed how far our program has come in just our second year of existence.”

The Colgate delegation began its trip last Thursday with a flight to London’s Heathrow Airport. The team arrived in Oxford on Friday afternoon.

On Saturday and Sunday, the students participated in Committee sessions, drafting resolutions and debating topics ranging from Iran’s nuclear weapons program to the role of multi-national corporations in achieving the Millennium Development Goals.

In between sessions, the students found time to explore the historic city and to spend time with the 300 other delegates who

participated into the conference.

“It was great to experience the city of Oxford and get to meet students from all around the world,” sophomore Head Delegate Conor Fitzgerald said.

After a red-eye flight from London, the students returned to Colgate just before dinnertime on Monday.

“It was a whirlwind weekend, but a great time and an amazing experience,” Lindauer said.

Oxford’s Model United Nations conference is one of the most prestigious, attracting top students from many colleges and universities. Delegates meet in committees of 15 to 20 students that address concerns including human rights, security, disarmament and economic development.

Through debate and amendment, delegates generate resolutions on various issues that are voted upon at a General Assembly on the final day of the conference. The experience is meant to simulate the workings of the United Nations and give participants the opportunity to hone their debating and diplomacy skills.

Last weekend, a group of 10 other students traveled to the University of Pennsylvania for a Model United Nations conference there. According to Lindauer, the team enjoyed similar success.