Colgate Set to Relay for Life

On Friday, October 21, Colgate University will host its first Relay for Life event to benefit the American Cancer Society. The Colgate Pre-Health Student Association will sponsor the relay at Sanford Field House. It will start at 7 p.m. and end at 7 a.m. the next day.

Held at colleges and in communities across the nation, Relay for Life is the main fundraising event of the American Cancer Society. Initiated by surgeon Dr. Gordy Klatt of Tacoma, Washington in 1985, the event aims to raise money, promote awareness, advocacy and research a cure for cancer.

“I was actually really involved in this event in high school,” sophomore event coordinator Valerie Curren said. “I thought that it was a really fun event for a good cause and I wanted to continue doing it by bringing it to Colgate.”

Curren has worked with Assistant Director of the Center for Leadership & Student Involvement (CLSI) Catherine Regan and Chairperson of the Health Sciences Advising Committee, Dr. Julie Chanatry, among various other members of the Colgate community in order to bring the event to campus.

“Some relays last for twenty-four hours, but this one will be twelve,” Curren said. “The idea is to have it last overnight because cancer never sleeps. I wanted the event to be held outside where people could just camp out, but unfortunately by the time October 21 rolls around it would be too cold to do so. Hopefully we’ll be able to hold it outdoors next time.”

To be a participant in the relay requires filling out a quick and simple form available at the official event website and paying a $10 participation fee to join a team. All of the proceeds benefit the cause. Teams typically consist of 10 to 15 people; at least one member of the team must be on the track for the duration of the event.

“There will be food catered by the non-profit group, Odd Fellows, music and various other activities,” Curren said. “It’s going to be a lot of fun so I really encourage people to participate and support this

worthy cause.”