In The Light: Cassie Quirindongo

In The Light: Cassie Quirindongo

Cassie Quirindongo, a sociology major and psychology minor, finds pleasure in the little things. “It’s not about recognition for what you do,” she says, “but about what makes you proud.”

A four year member of Sisters Of The Round Table (SORT), Quirindongo has had the chance to see her troupe fully transform and grow into a completely “unified and active group on campus.” Currently chairwoman of the group, she is excited to work on bringing SORT-sponsored events to campus on a larger extent than ever before.

Last year, with the help of the ALANA Cultural Center, SORT brought poet Nikki Giovani to campus. Before Giovani read her poetry, she was greeted by a “short but great piece” of singing and dancing that portrayed what being a woman really means. “I still get chills just talking about it,” says Quirindongo happily. “The first time I heard one member of SORT introduce another member of SORT as her sister,” says Quirindongo, “that was when I knew what we are doing together is working, and it is magnificent.”

Quirindongo finds pleasure in getting involved in campus life. She’s been a member of Residential Education for three years and has worked with the Latin American Student Organization (LASO) and the ALANA governance board.

A recipient of the McNair Scholarship, which helps under-represented groups to attain a doctorate, Quirindongo recently participated in a national program that researched male victims of domestic abuse. She has also spent summers at Colgate doing research in the field of psychology; after her sophomore year she studied the use and abuse of prescription stimulants.

“It is all about balance,” says Quirindongo, who makes a point to excel in her studies, find time to spend with friends and participate in numerous on-campus groups. “And also,” she adds, “everyone must go abroad.”

Quirindongo went to San Fransisco with the Department of Sociology and Anthropology. “Colgate can be a draining place with its heavy workload and its ugly weather, but getting off campus opens your mind academically, socially and culturally,” Quirindongo maintains.

“The simplest things are often the most worthwhile,” says Quirindongo. “Like sisterhood or a heartfelt thanks. Nothing brings me more joy than knowing I made one person’s day – no, one person’s hour – just a little bit better than it was before.”